cutting shell

zimmerstutzen

I have cut shell - but not with a scroll saw - they make a small hand fret saw 

and yes you use very fine jewelers ( and yes with a scrollsaw -but as slow as you can get -

expect the blades to break easily ), design tacked down with adhesive spray .

Pearl can burn very easy with a powered saw . cutting them by hand is not a difficult task

in fact it was allot of fun ( have inlayed a few guitars in my time )

BUT THE DUST CAN BE VERY HARMFUL TO YOUR LUNGS - WEAR A MASK

A GOOD MASK LIKE A N95 (  I always wear a mask when I scroll saw  )

Edited by Puzzleguy
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.   My first attempt with a ribbed molusk shell turned out terrible. Where the shell was ribbed thick, it was prone to chip.  Where it was ribbed thin it sort of went ok.   I attempted a piece of oyster shell, but it was far too brittle and flakey and disintegrated along the cut.  Gonna try a piece of plain  Quahog clam shell next. 

Edited by zimmerstutzen

• 2 years later...

An update a long time coming.  I tried cutting shell several different ways, and my best luck was with a dremel and diamond bit, but still not great.   I have been able to shape shell with a sanding disc. that hooks to the flex shaft on my old scroll saw.  This is a refrigerator magnet made from yellow pine, turned on the lathe, burned with a propane torch and then scrubbed with a wire brush, and bits of broken sea sell collected at the beach. The shell was shaped with the sanding disc.   I have since made some full size fish as wall decorations.

May be an image of orca and fish hook

• 1 month later...