First cut out using a spiral blade

flarud

Nice job, all I use now is spiral blades the main thing to remember is that it's your drawing so if you go of the lines no one knows, maybe that's how your design was, you did a fantastic job keep on with the spirals, don't try the long straight cuts it will on depress you like it does me 😂 try doing the leaping tiger in the pattern library it looks great with a black backing

Gordon

5 hours ago, Foxfold said:

That looks brilliant. A beautiful cut for your first go with spirals. ..  The first time I used spirals I tensed up with my shoulders and the blade went 2" straight across my wood and snapped. 🤣  It was another 3 months before I dare try again 

Well done, great cutting.!

I have a visual of you tensing up!  LOL  

Thanks

5 hours ago, Gordon 121 said:

Nice job, all I use now is spiral blades the main thing to remember is that it's your drawing so if you go of the lines no one knows, maybe that's how your design was, you did a fantastic job keep on with the spirals, don't try the long straight cuts it will on depress you like it does me 😂 try doing the leaping tiger in the pattern library it looks great with a black backing

Gordon

Thanks Gordon!  I actually found the pic on Pinterest.  I was actually able to stay on the lines fairly well, surprisingly.  This piece was a practice with the spiral for my next cut. 

15 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

No need to go easy on you. You did a beautiful job. I really like the irregular outside. Looks great!

Thanks Les!  The more I look at it, the more I like it.  I may try the Leaping Tiger that Gordon done.  But I have 4 Adirondack style rocking chairs that I need to start on tomorrow.. my scrollsaw won't get much attention for a while. 

For a first time with spirals you did a great job, no excuses necessary! As for cutting long straight lines, if you want to practice, take a scrap piece of bb ply, 1/8 or 1/4inch, and a ruler and draw a lot of lines of different lengths and go to it! Try the 2 different ways, pulling the wood towards you and pushing the wood away from you and see which one you achieve the straightest cut with . True, cutting straight lines with spirals is the most difficult cut to do with a spiral, just let your left hand know what your right hand is going to do! lol.

Erv 

I think you did a fine job with the spiral blade....it looks great.

I enjoy, and i'm getting quite comfortable with, spirals for portraits, especially of birds and anamils.  Feathers and fur don't need straight lines 🤣.

For straight lines, smooth curving lines and most font (block or script), I much prefer the standard type blades.       

On 9/30/2020 at 11:30 AM, dvdneal said:

... I tried spirals a week ago and just couldn't get it.  kept going way to far outside the lines and even following a smooth curve was hard....

David,

Try this.  On some scrap ply, draw some free hand variopus size round, oval, irregular and some other shapes for cut out.

Drill blade holes, and position the cut area directly in front of you just like when using a straight blade.  Hold the work with both hands on either side and try to gently proceed the blade to the cut line allways starting in the same direction.  I always go counter clockwise aroung the cut as this works best for me.  Let the blade gently follow the line  controlling the slow movement with both hands.  I find I almost need to "think" which way I want the blade to go to help my hands (something like how the mind controlls the hands when playing on a Weegee board).   I will often stop and and reposition the work if the line I'm following goes straight away or towards me as I find this is the hardest to controll. I'm much more comfortable when the blade is traveling somewhat sideways along the cut line.  Although the aim is to follow the line, I tend to err towards the waste side of the line as I can allways go back and shave off as necessary to get back to the line...this takes gentle hand control and practice also.

It won't take much practice to learn to control the spiral blades.  Then select an Animal or bird Pattern with 300+ holes and by the time you are done you will be a master...guarenteed 🤪.

Edited by FrankEV

On 9/29/2020 at 1:31 PM, flarud said:

I have tried spirals a couple of times over the last few years, never could get the hang of them.  I decided to try again.  I used a FD brand, can't remember the size.  Now I know what everyone is talking about when talking about the fuzzies!  I didn't have many, a little sanding knocked most of them off of the backside.  I have also been wanting to do a Tiger or Leopard or some kind of big cat with spots/stripes.  But I try to stay clear of patterns with an obscene amount of holes to drill!  This one only had about 90 interior holes to drill,, so wasn't too bad. 

I feel that I did ok with the spiral but I also feel that I didn't have to be perfect while cutting this pattern.  I take pride in being dead on the line with my regular blades.   I imagine cuts with more straight lines would be more difficult with spirals.  I don't know if I will attempt anything like that. 

The top part is 1/2" BB and the backer is 1/8" BB cut with an Olson #2 reverse blade.   Remember, go easy on the reviews this is my first spiral cut!  LOL

20200929_160354.thumb.jpg.be507c48b5f7c78443f990ce462f2436.jpg   20200929_160421.thumb.jpg.6869524c925abb9865d78fa5941f07eb.jpg

Good for you. A lot of people try the spirals and most people do not have a great experience the first time them use them, but a lot people also have a problem staying on the lines when they start scrolling also. Time and effort is the key to success for most things, including using spiral blades. I find them really perfect for a pattern with a lot of very tiny fret cuts because the spiral is less apt to brake the piece as you are not really making turns with the blade, just changing direction. I watched with awe when I saw pieces with numerous small fret and soon discovered that  people who like doing those patterns are often spiral users. That inspired me to try and learn how to use them. When I go a long time without using them, I find I somethings struggle with them too.  As far as straight lines go with a spiral. try cutting the straight  line with a flat blade and them go down that cut line with the spiral and it will widen it without the little ripples one often will get with the spiral blade. Keep up the good work and remember the more you use the spiral, the better you will be with them. They are the same as anything else......practice makes perfect

Dick

heppnerguy

On 9/30/2020 at 11:30 AM, dvdneal said:

Looks good to me. I tried spirals a week ago and just couldn't get it.  kept going way to far outside the lines and even following a smooth curve was hard.  Maybe if I practiced, but that would take work.  Something I'm just not known for.

I hear ya... I know I have like 4 packages of FD spirals I bought back in like 2011..  I tried one for like 5 min and hated it.. and they have sat there since.  Doesn't help that I didn't do any scrolling from like 2012 till this year cause of the state of the garage while married.. but I may try the spirals again.. 

Great job on the cut though Flarud.