Which table saw?

OCtoolguy

Well, here we go again. I'll open a new fresh can of worms. I've been using a Dewalt jobsite saw on the portable base for about 6 years now. I've done everything I can think of to make it cut like  my old Unisaw did. But, alas, it's not gonna happen. I have finally given in to the idea of a better saw. I'm 77 so I have to be reasonable about how much to spend and what quality level will be best for what I do. My biggest problem is I can't keep the darned thing square. I've got a very good miter gauge, I've built a cutoff slide and I've got a really good blade on it. So, with that said, I'll ask the question, what table saw are you using and are you happy with it? I'm leaning toward a Delta contractor's saw with an upgraded fence system. I want a tilting arbor type saw, not a motorized one. I'm not rich so I'm going to limit my purchase to $500. I'll be watching C/L for a good used saw also. So, let the games begin. I'd appreciate all input but please, don't tell me all about your high end equipment. I can't afford it so please, don't tell me about it. Thanks.

I have a Delta, it's one of the best tools I've ever purchased.

Not sure which TS you have, but the Dewalt contractor is also a very good saw.

I know  you've probably gone through all this but, have you tried to really tune it up? I had a similar problem with my old craftsman until I learned how to take my time and tune it in. It used to cut with a 1/16" variance, and when I was done I had gotten the variance down to under 1/32" which I can live with

On my Delta I have it tuned down to under a 1/32" as well

If I buy another saw, it will be a Dewalt 7491because it accepts a dado

Also you may want to keep an eye on CPO lowes. I got mine at Lowes on sale, and they also have an everyday veterans discount that will help in the price

My saw is a 25 year old piece of light weight junk Tradesman brand that I bought new for a project I was working with.. before my woodworking days.. I don't do any precision type work with it so it's not an issue.. Doesn't change the fact that I hate that saw.. but at the same time I'd be lost without it.. as about 6 years ago a bearing went out in the transmission and dang near smoked the motor before I got it shut down.. Took it apart and found that bad bearing.. New bearing and it's been running well ever since.. for its current position in my shop which it just rough cutting BBply down to usable sized blanks for stack cutting ornaments and other things that I use the ply for.. The motor is weak after the bearing deal.. so I assume it did some damage to it.. Can't cut through hardwood with it but works well for the ply which is more of what I use it for anyway..

I'll be watching this topic though.. as I would like a new saw but not wanting to spend a lot of money either.. but if I had a better saw.. I'd use it for making more precise things.. 

I’ve only had two table saws. My first saw was a POS Craftmans saw. Enough said. I currently own an American made, right tilt Delta unisaw with a unifence. Bought it from a place called Woodworkers Wearhouse in Phoenix Arizona. At the time, they where the Delta outlet for for discontinued models.it has a 30” fence and a Mobile base. Payed $1195 with free shipping to my shop. It was the best purchase I’ve ever made. I’ve had it for about 18-20 years and have never had a problem with it. 
If I where in the market today, I would look at the SawStop contractor saw or maybe the Laguna saws.as always, see what’s going on on Craigs list.

35 minutes ago, dgman said:

I’ve only had two table saws. My first saw was a POS Craftmans saw. Enough said. I currently own an American made, right tilt Delta unisaw with a unifence. Bought it from a place called Woodworkers Wearhouse in Phoenix Arizona. At the time, they where the Delta outlet for for discontinued models.it has a 30” fence and a Mobile base. Payed $1195 with free shipping to my shop. It was the best purchase I’ve ever made. I’ve had it for about 18-20 years and have never had a problem with it. 
If I where in the market today, I would look at the SawStop contractor saw or maybe the Laguna saws.as always, see what’s going on on Craigs list.

I had a Unisaw prior to our selling everything. The saw I have now is one that I bought used on eBay. I think it's a model 745. I added the mobile folding stand for it. It's a great little saw if you don't need precision. I do. Also, wherr I live we only have 50 amp 110 volt power so I'm limited there too. The Delta contractor's saw looks goid but I'm open to others.

@octoolguy, I have a Delta saw with a cabinet style. I paid my neighbor about 80 for it (moreso because he needed the money). I had to replace the motor on it and honestly, wanted an upgrade. I know it was old as it is a cast iron top, but in the process, I found out it was made in 1990. So I dropped maybe 300 dollars and the saw is pretty much like new. The thing runs like a pack of dogs chasing a three legged cat. 

31 minutes ago, Fedido said:

@octoolguy, I have a Delta saw with a cabinet style. I paid my neighbor about 80 for it (moreso because he needed the money). I had to replace the motor on it and honestly, wanted an upgrade. I know it was old as it is a cast iron top, but in the process, I found out it was made in 1990. So I dropped maybe 300 dollars and the saw is pretty much like new. The thing runs like a pack of dogs chasing a three legged cat. 

Sounds like an old Unisaw. They were a beast. Cast iron base cabinet? My Unisaw ran on 220 volts. I had to wire my garage to accept it. I miss it a lot but the 3 years we spent Rving full time was worth it. I won't be able to keep my next saw inside my shop. It will live out on the driveway under a tarp. So a used saw makes sense. I'm shopping so that's why I posed the question.

Unisaw, I had one. A great saw. I sold it. Took more space than I could afford and too hard to move around in my very limited space since my wife insists her car be in the garage. I have a $179 Kobalt saw from Lowes. Not the best fence or miter gauge but with a sled It is accurate, easy to fold and put away. I take it out and put it back several times a day. Light and simple. If I had the money and and space I'd probably have a SawStop. I guess my point is, the top notch machine can only help a poor operator but a craftsman can work wonders with a lousy machine. I'm no craftsman but a good sled can make the sorriest of saws do acceptable work.

21 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Well, here we go again. I'll open a new fresh can of worms. I've been using a Dewalt jobsite saw on the portable base for about 6 years now. I've done everything I can think of to make it cut like  my old Unisaw did. But, alas, it's not gonna happen. I have finally given in to the idea of a better saw. I'm 77 so I have to be reasonable about how much to spend and what quality level will be best for what I do. My biggest problem is I can't keep the darned thing square. I've got a very good miter gauge, I've built a cutoff slide and I've got a really good blade on it. So, with that said, I'll ask the question, what table saw are you using and are you happy with it? I'm leaning toward a Delta contractor's saw with an upgraded fence system. I want a tilting arbor type saw, not a motorized one. I'm not rich so I'm going to limit my purchase to $500. I'll be watching C/L for a good used saw also. So, let the games begin. I'd appreciate all input but please, don't tell me all about your high end equipment. I can't afford it so please, don't tell me about it. Thanks.

I like my rigid 4516. I like it better then the dewalt

mine is a older Delta Contractors saw -I added a interlocking belt with a new pulley system -

and it has better traction and power than the original saw . Mine is actually made in the USA

its cuts on the square with the the mitre gauge and fence ( as long as its set up correctly ) and it even handles dado's fine.

But I typically either use a forrest blade or a Freud anti kick back combination blade .

Thou the motors a 1 1/2 horse , with that new belt and pully system it has more power .

Thou I wish back in the days that I  bought a Unisaw -  I just used it to make posts for my deck 

Edited by Puzzleguy

2 minutes ago, Woodrush said:

It's got a better rip capacity than my buddies dewalt

I looked at it and if I'm looking at the right saw, it's a portable like the dewalt that I have. I want a stationery saw more like a contractor's saw. This is a jobsite saw. I did also look at the Ridgid cabinet saw that is belt driven. That's what I want. Thanks.

A couple years ago when I was thinking about a new table saw.. I had a couple people say they really liked this saw from Lowes... It appears to not be available here in my area and it looks like they are discontinuing it.. as they have a different one the same price point.. Maybe if you check around it could be bought cheaper as a clearance model? https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-13-Amp-Table-Saw/1000875384

This is the saw I think might be replacing that one.. https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-Contractor-Saws-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Table-Saw/1001385562

I know very little about table saws.. so maybe this is nothing like you're looking for.. but it's closest to the price point you mentioned.. I know it's a lot nicer than my old cheap saw.. and this first link was what I had my mind set on when my bearing went out on mine.. I repaired it so never bit the bullet..

26 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

A couple years ago when I was thinking about a new table saw.. I had a couple people say they really liked this saw from Lowes... It appears to not be available here in my area and it looks like they are discontinuing it.. as they have a different one the same price point.. Maybe if you check around it could be bought cheaper as a clearance model? https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-13-Amp-Table-Saw/1000875384

This is the saw I think might be replacing that one.. https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-Contractor-Saws-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Table-Saw/1001385562

I know very little about table saws.. so maybe this is nothing like you're looking for.. but it's closest to the price point you mentioned.. I know it's a lot nicer than my old cheap saw.. and this first link was what I had my mind set on when my bearing went out on mine.. I repaired it so never bit the bullet..

That's the 36-725, the one I bought. The t2 is the replacement for it. It's a really good saw!

https://deltamachinery.com/products/table-saws/36-725 t2/

Edited by new2woodwrk

I have the Bosch T3000 table saw. I have had it for 5 years. Yeah, it's a "contractor's" table saw, big whoop. It does everything I need it to do. I think I paid $500.00 for it, brand new. Like you Ray, my budget was in the same range as yours. Would I buy it again? For what it's worth, In a heartbeat. 

54 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

The saw that I want will not be motorized. Those are the ones that the blade attaches directly to the motor. I want a belt driven saw, tilting arbor. I will find what I'm looking for more than likely used. The new ones are out of my price range. If I thought I'd live another 20 productive years, I would buy a cabinet saw. But at my age, the next guy would get more out of it than I would. I did find a nice Ridgid saw on C/L but the seller hasn't answered my email. 

22 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Unisaw, I had one. A great saw. I sold it. Took more space than I could afford and too hard to move around in my very limited space since my wife insists her car be in the garage. I have a $179 Kobalt saw from Lowes. Not the best fence or miter gauge but with a sled It is accurate, easy to fold and put away. I take it out and put it back several times a day. Light and simple. If I had the money and and space I'd probably have a SawStop. I guess my point is, the top notch machine can only help a poor operator but a craftsman can work wonders with a lousy machine. I'm no craftsman but a good sled can make the sorriest of saws do acceptable work.

I've got a Kobalt KT 1015, about 2 1/5 yrs old. I needed something I could easily move out of the way. It's a decent lower end saw at just over $300...I think. I built a small crosscut sled and it does pretty good. I don't like the fence though, it has a lock on both ends instead of just one. I set the near side then measure the far side and lock it. I picked up a DeWalt DW780 sliding miter saw this summer, so I do all the angled cuts on it, and most cross cuts.

IMG_1904.jpg

That's my saw. Close the sliding table and lock it. Raise the blade all the way. Then slide the fence all the way against the blade and lock both ends of the fence and don't unlock it again until really necessary. Just move the table in and out to make your cuts and the fence is always stable. This is the mini sled I use for many of my small cuts. Very accurate.

1-20200709_123840.jpg

2-20200709_123808.jpg