Christmas Tree Wreath

FrankEV

9 minutes ago, Frank Pellow said:

Frank, I really like what you did to enhance Sue's basic pattern.

I've kind of wondered about buying and using this pattern myself and now you have given me more information upon which to make my decision.  Right now, I remain on the fence.

Frank...sure I'm not writing to myself😆

Please don't take my comments about the pattern wrong.  I just did not plan ahead enough and tried to do something that really wasn't what it was designed for...so it took me forever to complete.  I forgot to remember KISS and made it much more complecated than it needed to be. 

Looking at the Pattern I received, the Triscuit for laying on a table my actually be a better project..  

24 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

That's really nice - I do like the lights though, too bad about the wires Is it not possible to run the wires along the back/trees  and stars.

probably would take a lot more time though?

Thanks for sharing it

I should have included these pics from the side and back.

They do sell sets with smaller LEDs but I could only find them in 50 bulb strings and did not want to hang two batterypacks from the back. 

I only needed 88 so there is 12 hanging in the back that I plan to trim off.    

Wreath side c.JPG

Wreath Back c.JPG

17 hours ago, FrankEV said:

They do sell sets with smaller LEDs but I could only find them in 50 bulb strings and did not want to hang two batterypacks from the back. 

Wreath side c.JPG

Wreath Back c.JPG

Yowza!

It's still a great piece - just as another option, would color cellophane with a single bulb behind them work?

On 10/14/2020 at 3:12 PM, FrankEV said:

Seeing those photos of the wires, I am even more impressed (and intimidated) by your job on this wreath Frank. 

Actually pushing the bulbs into the holes I drilled for them was the eaisest part of the project.  Everything I had to do to get to that point took more time and effort then expected.

Putting lights in the wreath seemed like it would be a good idea and it actually looks good fron the front, but the jungle of wires makes the project a little impracticle.

i agree with everyone else its simply beautiful!!! and i love the lights!! there must be some way to try to clean up the wires a bit.....but all i can think of is buying a smaller set of lights but not sure it would look as good in the front that way.....humm maybe make some kind of covering for the back that can be opened and closed? 

On 10/14/2020 at 9:15 AM, FrankEV said:

Sue May NW1902 Christmas Tree Wreath Pattern.  Believe it or not I did not see the little trees untill I started to cut the pattern.  I used 1/2" sanded ply for the top and 1/4" BB ply for the backer.

This seemed to be a very simple project but took way too much time to complete.   The cut was relatively simple and repetative,  but when cutting the 1/2" ply I cut out the middle before doubble stick tapeing the backer to it, so I had to do the middle cut out twice.  All cutting was done with Pegas #1 spiral blades except the small stars on top of each tree for which I used a Pegas #1 MGT. to get pointer stars..   

Then I decided to paint the trees green and the backer that shows behind the trees red.  That was easy, until when overlayed, the red was vissable all around the edges both inside and outside which ment I now had to hand paint all the exposed edges of the backer green.  I also painted all the stars gold, but the craft paint did not cover the green sparay paint very well reguiring multiple coats and my hands are not to steady these days. 

I'm Not quite finished yet. 

I had the bright idea (no pun intended) to add mini LED lights through holes in the backer.  I found a cheap 100  bulb string of the mini LED's in Big LOts.  Searching through my numbered drill set I finally found the correct size bit that would hold the light in place with out glue.   All is good except there is way too much wire bunched up behind the wreath. 

As they say: Live and learn.  Not, IMHO, the best project to undertake and wouldn't do it again.   I'll hang it in my house for the holidays  but not sure is it will be a keepsake.   

And I did not mention that it takes 3 AAA batteries that will need to be replaced regularly if left on for any length of time.....

2047932059_Wreathunlitc.thumb.JPG.68aea8cfdb80262f3843d383668209aa.JPG  

Unlit

1661377699_Wreathlitc.thumb.JPG.87b0628e1aca2e1c7752f1fa91b9aa91.JPG

Lit   

Oh wow... amazing and attractive decoration.. Take a bow, this is a truly fun piece

Dick

heppnerguy

• 3 weeks later...