Sqigglies

TAIrving

I don't know what else to call it.  Look at the picture.  

When I drill a hole I get these annoying little squigglies around the hole.  They make it difficult to see the pattern line.  Of course I can brush them off or push them out of the way.  Does anyone else have this problem?

I know what causes it, I just wonder if this happens with other types of tape.  I am using Scotch Shipping Tape under my patterns.  The spray adhesive sticks well to it, it does not pull up when I am sawing, and it does not leave a residue when I remove it from the project.  But it does result in the squigglies.

I ran out of blue painters tape.  I bought a roll of clear shelf film from Walmart as recommended by others but it leaves a sticky residue when i remove it from the project.  

I am ready to do something different.  What do you use and how does it work?

squigglies.jpg

Tape.JPG

My advice for what it's worth is to get a can of repositional craft glue like 3M Spray Mount, spray back of pattern, wait 30 secs and place on wood. Cut patterns and then dampen with white spirit and the paper will fall off with minimal residue. I always do this and never have a problem even with the most intricate cutting.

Barbara Striesand.jpg

Good idea Brenda.  That would get rid of the squigglies.  

Others have suggested that the intermediate layer, be it tape or shelf liner, etc, would have the added benefit of lubricating the blade.  Do you have any thoughts on that?

I love the portrait.  Is that a self-portrait?

Thurman

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.  It seems the problem is the drill and drill bit, not the packing tape.  And I was using too large a drill bit.  

All has changed.  I bought a roll of blue tape and a new Pegas scroll saw.  (I might have the order of importance reversed.)  

Bottom feeding, or top feeding for that matter, are much easier with the Pegas.  So I can use a smaller, and hopefully sharper, drill bit.  So maybe it won't matter if I do not change the speed on my drill press.

Did I mention I got a new Pegas today!  I already love it.  

BTW, I love this SSV.  You guys are great!