Fred Rogers quote

Charlie E

My comments have nothing to do with the very well done scroll work. 

It is more so, about how the message may be received.

Quite a while ago I used to teach Couples to Dance.  When they would sucessfully finish a routine I had a habit of saying: "That wasn't too terrible" and ment it as a complement until It was pointed out to me that I was really saying; "It was terrible".  Until it was mentioned to me I had no idea that what I was saying was realy hurtful.

When Mister Rogers spoke he was talking to a wide aduience of alll kinds of children.  And all those chilldren received the meaning of such words in their own minds and circumstances. 

My comment is; isn't the cutting and message conveying the idea that there is something actually wrong with the child who will be the recipient.  Kind of like what I was doing with my offending complement to my students.

Consider what you might think if you received a Valentines day card with that image and saying. 

Hoping my comments are not out of place as they are just for consideration.

Edited by FrankEV

5 minutes ago, FrankEV said:

My comment is; isn't the cutting and message conveying the idea that there is something actually wrong with the child who will be the recipient.  Kind of like what I was doing with my offending complement to my students.

Well, I know people can be real sensitive and take offense at just about anything, but for the life of me, I can't imagine how anyone could twist the words of Fred Rogers to be anything other than what he intended.  No man in the public eye ever was more sensitive and considerate of the feelings of his audience than Fred Rogers.  

31 minutes ago, FrankEV said:

My comments have nothing to do with the very well done scroll work. 

It is more so, about how the message may be received.

Quite a while ago I used to teach Couples to Dance.  When they would sucessfully finish a routine I had a habit of saying: "That wasn't too terrible" and ment it as a complement until It was pointed out to me that I was really saying; "It was terrible".  Until it was mentioned to me I had no idea that what I was saying was realy hurtful.

When Mister Rogers spoke he was talking to a wide aduience of alll kinds of children.  And all those chilldren received the meaning of such words in their own minds and circumstances. 

Consider what you might think if you received a Valentines day card with that image and saying. 

Hoping my comments are not out of place as they are just for consideration.

Well I can see what your getting at. It's not a gift for a child though. When I showed the cutting to my grandchildren this morning I told them, "Sometimes you, (my grandson) can be cranky and sometimes you, (my granddaughter) can be sassy, but I love you just the same." I also said, "Sometimes I need to be more patient." They both smiled very big. I think most all children are aware they have shortcomings or are different than others in some way. I think it helps their self esteem to be reassured that that's OK. Of course I don't put that much stock in my own opinion on child psychology, but I've read a lot about Fred Rogers. Him I trust. :) 

2 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

Well, I know people can be real sensitive and take offense at just about anything, but for the life of me, I can't imagine how anyone could twist the words of Fred Rogers to be anything other than what he intended.  No man in the public eye ever was more sensitive and considerate of the feelings of his audience than Fred Rogers.  

I was not being sensitive or taking any offence and it certainly isn't the words of the quote by Fred Rogers that was my of concern.  By themselves the words are absolutly great.

To me it was the message that MAY/COULD be construded by the quote WITH the image when received together.  I saw an implied message that there was something wrong with the receipient (even if not intended) especially if that recipient was going to be a young child (my assumption).

Even Charlie, in his reply to me, seemed to say he had to explain to his grandchildren what the piece really ment! 

Frankly, I would be thrilled to be the recipient of this piece. As much as we all think we’re “perfect”, realistically we must know we have faults. There are some that try to change others to mold them to their “perfect” image. I’m very lucky because I know my husband “ loves me just the way I am”. The fact that it’s wonderfully scrolled on an imperfect board with an imperfect flower -which we can all relate to being, the message is very powerful and should not be taken out of context. 
Thank you Charlie, I will be making this one as well.