Laminated MDF

Badgerboy

Alex Fox recently posted a beautiful new Christmas pattern which is a Christmas calendar. I bought the pattern to make for my granddaughter.  

He apparently uses laminated mdf which may be easily sourced in the Ukraine but I cannot seem to find anything but 3/4 here in the US.  Has anyone ever sourced the material Alex uses on this side of the pond or know if it goes by another name?  

Thanks for any suggestions.

Why settle for MDF? I would never use MDF. I always use hardwoods. Maple, Cherry, Walnut, Mahogany, oak and Sapele. Alder, Yellowheart, Purpleheart, and Redheart. Wow! So many beautiful hardwoods and you want to use MDF! Go to Ochooch hardwoods. They have the thickness and widths you need. Probably priced competitively to MDF. Hardwoods have grain and texture. MDF has no grain. MDF stand for medium density fiberboard. That’s not wood. It’s a wood byproduct full of nasty chemicals.

2 hours ago, dgman said:

Why settle for MDF? I would never use MDF. I always use hardwoods. Maple, Cherry, Walnut, Mahogany, oak and Sapele. Alder, Yellowheart, Purpleheart, and Redheart. Wow! So many beautiful hardwoods and you want to use MDF! Go to Ochooch hardwoods. They have the thickness and widths you need. Probably priced competitively to MDF. Hardwoods have grain and texture. MDF has no grain. MDF stand for medium density fiberboard. That’s not wood. It’s a wood byproduct full of nasty chemicals.

You're right. I hate the stuff.

You can get some fantastic colours of melamine laminated MDF. I can't help you with US suppliers but in OZ we can get all thickness's from 3mm - 35mm.
I would not cut it with a reverse tooth blade as it may chip, and the Melamine will be tough on blades.
I have cut some and it has turned out nice and unique.
FYI MDF has the safety handing recomendations as solid timber, treat it the same and all will be good.