Portrait cutting wood selection

I have a portrait pattern that I want to cut, that Birch made for me in the Pattern Request forum.

I would like to use a #2/0 reverse tooth, or a #2 reverse tooth blade. I am planning on framing it somehow. My question is what wood would you all use for it? I've never cut portraits before. I was thinking of using 1/8" birch ply, or 1/4" birch ply. I plan on framing it behind glass.

So, my questions:

1. What wood should I use

2. How do you get the black background, I'm guessing a piece of 1/8" ply painted black?

3. What finish would you use on it after your done?

I don't mind cutting and making my own frame.. I just figure that by the time you put 1/8" backer, 1/8" wood, and then the glass, your looking at about 3/8" rabbit to hold it all... am I right?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm sure you guys will steer me in the right direction.

I use 1/8 inch Baltic birch plywood for portraits. And put a piece of black construction paper as the backer. This will usually fit into a standard picture frame.

I don't normally put any finish on the portraits unless for some reason they aren't framed and then just a clear gloss (water based or laquer just depends on my mood)

Hope that's helpful

Mike

So if I went with a #2/0 blade, what size hole do you use for one.. Some of those cutouts on the pattern Birch made for me are def smaller than 1/16" which is the smallest size I can chuck up in my drill press or hand drills.. I can prob go get the small chuck for my dremel which I believe will chuck down to 1/32". I have 3 of those sized drill bits.

So, my questions:

1. What wood should I use

2. How do you get the black background, I'm guessing a piece of 1/8" ply painted black?

3. What finish would you use on it after your done?

Here's what I do:

[*:2uf9knle]I would use either 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood (don't use birch plywood from the bigbox stores). Or stack cut 2 or 3 pieces of 1/8" Baltic Birch Plywood. I wouldn't cut a single sheet of 1/8" because its a bit delicate. If you stack cut them, it adds a lot of support.

[*:2uf9knle]I use black felt. Its a nice contrast to the wood. You can buy it at any craft store or Walmart for 60 cents each. When I frame it, I just lay it on the back. The backing board of the frame holds it in place. That way if you want to change out the background, its not a big deal.

[*:2uf9knle]I only use clear acrylic spray. You can use oil, but Baltic Birch doesn't have enough interesting grain to highlight. 2 coats of acrylic spray works great.

I did pick up a 2 sheets each of birch ply from Michaels.. looks solid core. no knots in it don't see voids in the plys where it's cut.. May try that first, just to see how it goes.

I was going to cut it with a 2/0 blade Travis.. I think it has enough teeth to keep it smooth.. The hair in the pattern has the smallest details, so I'll start there and see if I like how it's goin. I did upsize it a bit. It's on 11x17 paper, but probably is closer to 10x14 or so.. just a bit larger so the hair can be cut easier.

As far as drill hole size goes, Mikes Workshop (http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm) shows the minimum drill bit size that can be used for each saw blade. Then on the page for drill bits, shows the size of each of the bits. These pages show that a no.71 bit can be used on a 2/0 blade, but most of the time I just use a no.68 bit which is 1/32".