Wall Art Aquarium

FrankEV

I like the way that you did this.

I've been asked to create a wide but narrow stained glass piece to go into the high-up window in a friend's bathroom and I am thinking that what you did here, only with a turquoise glass backing, might be more appealing than the traditional stained glass that I was planning to make.

If I decide to proceed with this, where can I obtain that patterns that you used?

10 minutes ago, Frank Pellow said:

I like the way that you did this.

I've been asked to create a wide but narrow stained glass piece to go into the high-up window in a friend's bathroom and I am thinking that what you did here, only with a turquoise glass backing, might be more appealing than the traditional stained glass that I was planning to make.

If I decide to proceed with this, where can I obtain that patterns that you used?

That sounds like a nice undertaking.  

These Underwater Sea Creature patterns are from the Scroller Website. (https://www.scrolleronline.com) There are a few different subject patterns also, like butterflys and frogs.  They come in a 3 pack but a slight discount if you buy the 6 pack.  The patterns are nominal 8" diameter and that is why I had to stagger them to fit on a 48" backer.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:16 AM, FrankEV said:

In a thread under Q&A I previously asked the question about how "Wall Art" is normally displayed, as there are no suggestions for backers or frames.  Based on some of the answers I received this is what I did.

My lady, Robin, specifically found these six Underwater Sea Creature patterns from the Scroller Website and she asked me to cut them for her. 

They are cut from 1/4"BB Ply and left unstained. I mostly used Pegas #0 spiral blades to cut the patterns.  As they are "Wall Art", I decided I would need to create my own "wall", as I did not think they would look good hanging by themselves on our nearly white walls. 

The backer is 12" x 48" long piece of 1/4" Luan plywood painted with 3 coats of custom colored wall paint. The base color was Valspar Blue Turquoise that I streaked the wet third coat with Valspar Turquoise Tint to add some light colored high lights.   I purchased sample jars of the paint from the Lowes paint department.  After mounting the cuts to the backer I finished the panel with multiple coats of spray Lacquer.

I made the custom size frame from cut down pre-primed brick mold, also from Lowes, which I then finished painted with rattle can spray high gloss white enamel. 

I think this project came out fairly well and we now have our own Wall Art Aquarium and Robin is happy...that is all that matters!

876688035_Undersea1c.thumb.jpg.7198ed075880898da75ddb2a02532a6c.jpg

1830711966_UnderseaLeft2c.thumb.jpg.77e1533b1ec67f3d8111d273e3c3eb3c.jpg

251909366_UnderseaRgt2c.thumb.jpg.de4068ec908d7192684d1df3c24b3fac.jpg

Looks great. Excellent