Spirals

savethebeer

I’ve suddenly realized its that time of the year again. Its when I put Spiral blades in my saw. Its also the only time that I use spirals. I’m running off a couple of Swibboggen (German candle arches) I did some last year but this time I’ve enlarged the pattern from about 10 inches to 14 inches. At that length I find the whole effort of holding my breath whilst I swing the wood to do the other angle of the cut to be too much. So the spiral does away with the need to rotate the wood at each change of direction. It also helps that snow covered scenery does not have many straight lines.

image.png.271b30e6373aa71fd054171ff16b2a47.png

Here is several of them, stack cut 2 at a time in 4mm, waiting on stain, varnish, glue, and lights.

I think this year I’m also doing better on the straight lines than previously. I have managed to cut the grooves straight in the base, last year I would have changed to an ordinary blade for the straighter cuts.

image.png.56f6483718e410e50fab1ce0cee2532f.png

The two issues I've noticed with spirals, and I wrote a couple of years ago about them, I've no problem with large cuts. I'm also good when the cut is one blade width but I have issues when the cut is only slightly thicker than 1 blade thickness. The other issue is my spirals seem to unravel as I work. Each time I change holes, the blade shank seems to have rotated anti clockwise slightly so that over time the spiral twists don't seem to be as tight as when I started out with that blade. 

Beautiful work. I have a theory about why it seems the spirals "unwind" when using. This is only a theory. Everyone knows the heat that is built up when cutting, especially when stack cutting. Seems to me that the heat would want to soften the spirals a bit so that when you switch holes, they relax a little thus giving the impression of unwinding. As for doing a cut slightly larger then the blade, why not step up to the next larger size blade. Proving you have them of course. 

Like Rolf asked. Who's pattern is this? I'm working on a couple from Sue Mey right now.