Blade storage systems / racks what are you using?

rustynail

I am just wondering how everyone is storing there blades for use . There are so many different sizes and kinds and was curious what kind of racks or storage systems you are using for quick accessibility when cutting. And were you may have purchased it from? 

Thanks Richard

Edited by rustynail

This is my blade rack. I used to do a lot of demos at the woodworking club and the local Woodcraft store. I wanted my rack to be attractive. So I used Sapele to make it. My original rack was made from construction grade 2x4s. The overlay on the back was just decoration, cut from 1/8” Baltic birch. The tubes came from Sloans Woodshop, which is now   closed. You can find tubes on the internet.

B02FA7A0-E88A-4C6C-8730-B53DCB2109F1.jpeg

8F3892BC-EE0F-484E-B338-859F455119E8.jpeg

I use "Baby Soda Bottles" that are test tube looking that are the blanks of a 2 liter soda bottle before it is formed. I bought them from Steve Spangler Science and came with a plastic rack. 

I use a Sharpie to mark the blade size on the lid.

Edited by Jim McDonald

2 hours ago, dgman said:

This is my blade rack. I used to do a lot of demos at the woodworking club and the local Woodcraft store. I wanted my rack to be attractive. So I used Sapele to make it. My original rack was made from construction grade 2x4s. The overlay on the back was just decoration, cut from 1/8” Baltic birch. The tubes came from Sloans Woodshop, which is now   closed. You can find tubes on the internet.

B02FA7A0-E88A-4C6C-8730-B53DCB2109F1.jpeg

8F3892BC-EE0F-484E-B338-859F455119E8.jpeg

Very nice Dan. Great idea.

I bought a 60 tube rack that came with the tubes. What I have found though is that I pretty much use the same blade type/brand/size most of the time so my rack just sits and gets dusty. I have blades that I bought from FD, Olsen, Pegas, PSWoods etc. that will probably never get used. It's part of the hobby and learning curve. When I first got interested I took a marquetry class and the instructor suggested buying a couple of gross of 2/0 blades from a watch repair outfit that doesn't even sell them anymore. But, I have them. Oh well, it's only money. $$$$

3 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I bought a 60 tube rack that came with the tubes. What I have found though is that I pretty much use the same blade type/brand/size most of the time so my rack just sits and gets dusty. I have blades that I bought from FD, Olsen, Pegas, PSWoods etc. that will probably never get used. It's part of the hobby and learning curve. When I first got interested I took a marquetry class and the instructor suggested buying a couple of gross of 2/0 blades from a watch repair outfit that doesn't even sell them anymore. But, I have them. Oh well, it's only money. $$$$

Oh boy! I love 2/0 blades. I buy them by the gross!

When I started and had a great variety of blades I made tubes of PVC pipe with caps on the ends and made a round carousel to hold the tubes.tube.

Once I developed a favorite the holder got put on a shelf to collect dust, then one day got knocked over and all the blades spilled out. After a few cuss words I picked up the blades and brought the mess with me to my school shop to let the kids use.

Now I keep my blades in a pencil drawer in the little bag they came in. I take a dozen out of the wire and they sit on a butter dish that I glued magnets to. The dish is in easy reach when I need a new blade.

I use the test tube holders, in which I put the slip of paper sent with the blades to show which blade is in there.  I made a holder to attach to the scroll saw stand that holds the tube for the blades I am currently using.  The rest of the tubes go in a compartmented box that I keep in the bottom of the stand.  That way I don't have to remember which blade is in the saw.  With my memory, that is important.

Tom

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I'm curious about something. When you are using a blade and have to change to a different blade for one reason or another, how do you keep track of that used blade? In my case, I mainly used Pegas #5 MGT so I just set it aside for the time being but what do others do?

I use one of the tubes that's not full of dust ;) to place used blades, that still have some mileage on them, in. If I have to make a cut and don't have the correct size in the saw, I just look through the used ones and select what i think will do the job.

Thanks, every one for the info as it seems tubes are the most used storage solution and there were some good-looking holders as well. Rocktime I like your straw tip as it’s a great idea no matter who came up with it first, and Ray thanks for asking as I always had troubles with the ½ used blades as well..

Any suggestions on the best tubes to buy and were? I know I can check the internet but I thought I would ask first and possibly save some time since it seems everyone has tubes already.

Thanks Richard

This is  often asked and replied to.

I know it is nice to receive replies to your  questions.

There is also a feature here that answers many questions and

that is to do a search. In this case you could go to "General Scrollsawing"

and search for 'blade storage systems'.

Try searching for something sometime, might be fun.

Oh boy! I love 2/0 blades. I buy them by the gross!    FOR ....ROCKYTIME.... 

My personnal blade is UR#1....  Works Great.  Will you explain why your Go to blade is the 2/0? 

Is is better in your views than the FDUR #1?            I have 2/0 and have tried them....  Thanks  Danny  :+}

12 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I'm curious about something. When you are using a blade and have to change to a different blade for one reason or another, how do you keep track of that used blade? In my case, I mainly used Pegas #5 MGT so I just set it aside for the time being but what do others do?

I have a rare earth magnet on the upper arm of my Dewalt. Slightly used blades go there.