Blade storage systems / racks what are you using?

rustynail

I have mine in zip type bags.  All the #5's in one, #3's in another etc.  They are in a box on a shelf.  I take out a package and leave it beside my work as I am using it so I remember what blade I am using.  I definitely need to work on something better. Thanks for the ideas!!

2 hours ago, danny said:

Oh boy! I love 2/0 blades. I buy them by the gross!    FOR ....ROCKYTIME.... 

My personnal blade is UR#1....  Works Great.  Will you explain why your Go to blade is the 2/0? 

Is is better in your views than the FDUR #1?            I have 2/0 and have tried them....  Thanks  Danny  :+}

The 2/0 is a bit smaller, very sharp and aggressive. I seldom cut anything greater than 1/2"  mostly 1/8 to 1/4". My blade selection goes from 8/0 to #9 and don't ask me why. I haven't a clue. I never use bigger than #5. 

18 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Someone here taught me to put a plastic drinking straw in the blade tube. Place the slightly used blade in the drinking straw to segregate it from new blades. Easy peasy!

What a simple and unique idea. That's why I'm not a rocket scientist. Or brain surgeon. I do sweep a mean floor though.

8 hours ago, LarryEA said:

This is  often asked and replied to.

I know it is nice to receive replies to your  questions.

There is also a feature here that answers many questions and

that is to do a search. In this case you could go to "General Scrollsawing"

and search for 'blade storage systems'.

Try searching for something sometime, might be fun.

Larry, I'm going to try to give you an answer to that question/suggestion. I have tried many times to use the search feature to find something that I know has been talked about prior. But for the life of me, I never seem to be able to use the right "search" criteria to find what I'm looking for. Every once in a while it works but most generally it doesn't so I just post a new question/topic. And, I'm never disappointed because of the vast knowledge here and it is forever changing.

12 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Larry, I'm going to try to give you an answer to that question/suggestion. I have tried many times to use the search feature to find something that I know has been talked about prior. But for the life of me, I never seem to be able to use the right "search" criteria to find what I'm looking for. Every once in a while it works but most generally it doesn't so I just post a new question/topic. And, I'm never disappointed because of the vast knowledge here and it is forever changing.

Problem is that Dim Wits like me title their posts with smart a$$ titles or things that have no bearing on he subject matter. I'll try not to do that ant longer!

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

Problem is that Dim Wits like me title their posts with smart a$$ titles or things that have no bearing on he subject matter. I'll try not to do that ant longer!

The search feature here does not necessarily look at just titles. If you type in say dust collection, you will get a list of pages that have dust collection in the body of the post. You will have to weed through all the pages, but at least it narrows it down for you!

Top 2 drawers on my scroll saw cart in test tubes, 0/2 thru #3 in top drawer #5 and larger in second drawer. The tubes I use fit perfectly in the holes in the frame of the saw so the current tube for the  blade I am using goes there.  If I put a used blade back in a tube I put a tiny piece of blue tape on the end.935712579_scrollsawcart.thumb.jpg.c08b66e84e1485b274266e8c83efd518.jpgtubes.thumb.jpg.60a0b7b59705a78b6d2ef1489b03cf3b.jpg

On 11/13/2020 at 9:29 PM, octoolguy said:

I'm curious about something. When you are using a blade and have to change to a different blade for one reason or another, how do you keep track of that used blade? In my case, I mainly used Pegas #5 MGT so I just set it aside for the time being but what do others do?

Gotta have a different saw for each style and size blade.. 😂

More seriously I have a lot of blade holders for the Hawk saw and I have stamped them with numbers.. For the most part I use #3 and #5.. Obviously the Pegas are easy to tell apart from a FD UR.. I don't use enough of the other styles and sizes to worry about trying to save it for a later use.. I just pitch them when I'm don't using them.. I only use one size and style of spiral balde and that is easy to tell from the FD UR and the Pegas too.. 😂

I use some pill bottles. They are only about half as tall as the blades.  Mine holds 8 bottles and to be honest, that is well more than enough.  I only use the same 3 sizes for 99% of my stuff. 

I just drilled some holes in 1" stock to hold the bottles.  Just have to be careful not to know it over.  That would be a real disaster.   I keep it well out of the way though so hopefully that wont happen.  

2 hours ago, crupiea said:

I just drilled some holes in 1" stock to hold the bottles.  Just have to be careful not to know it over.  That would be a real disaster.   I keep it well out of the way though so hopefully that wont happen.  

Must admit, that's what I did and it worked great until !!  I reached for a blade, stood on the cat and tipped forward !! 😱

The whole lot got knocked all over my bench !!  I won't tell you how long it took me to sort that little mess out.  I now use those taller bottles with a top on  🤣

8 hours ago, crupiea said:

I use some pill bottles. They are only about half as tall as the blades.  Mine holds 8 bottles and to be honest, that is well more than enough.  I only use the same 3 sizes for 99% of my stuff. 

Seems like you’re playing with fire. Sooner or later, you are going to get burned!

My blade storage tubes came from a friend who was a machinist - tubes they kept Bits or bores in

he gave a bunch many years ago when we had a scrollsaw club in Western NY.

I dont get into fancy - and thou i have many blades of all sizes  - technically I use

only use 6-7 different blades - - 

Edited by Puzzleguy