DREMEL 1680 Variable Speed 16" Scroll Saw

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using a 1680 for about 2 years, but is now replaced with a Hegner Multicut SE.

I bought mine as my first scroll saw as I wanted an entry model without draining my hobby-account.

The saw has been ok to use, but I always had problems cutting in wood thicker than about 1 to 1.5 inch nomatter what blade I choosed.

My own investigation of the problem concluded that the alignment of the blade was not vertical and it moved back and forth instead moving straight up and down so the blade could not keep the kerf clean of sawdust. This was the main reason why it couldn't cut in material above approx. 1.5 inch.

In top of that the machine was vibrating a lot. Even though the saw had variable speed, the only thing this could be used for, was to limit the vibrations by finding a speed which minimized the resonance of the moving parts causing the vibrations.

Last but not least - I have heard that Dremel has terminated production of all Scroll saws!

With all this in mind I bought a Hegner Multicut SE 6 month ago, - and that I haven't regret. It is expensive yes - but it's value for money :D

In my investigation of which Scroll saw I should buy, I read a lot of tests, and if I could buy tools from The USA without having to pay a fortune in freight and duty, I might have bought an Excalibur EX-30 which has a lot of nice features and is recommended in several tests.

My best advise to you is to try several Scroll saws before you decide. I'm sure that you can find a Scroll sawer close to where you live, or a store where it is posible to test the different saws.