Hummingbird night lamp (My version)

FrankEV

2 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

... I would love to know how you were able to get the 45  on your belt sander...

I have a combination belt and disk sander. the belt is vertical and has a small table in front of the belt.  The table can be adjusted fro 90 degrees to 45 degrees.

With the table tiped down to 45 degrees I simply lay the panel on the table and move it side to side while gently sanding the edge to a sharp pinted edge.  Kinda like sharpening a chisel on a grinder.  

Here is a couple of pics...sorry about the mess.

20201121_181959[1].jpg

20201121_182030[1].jpg

Wow impressive you did some job on it, I bet at night it looks stunning, I use cm for measurements rather than inches, we should together as a group all agree to put a playing card like 5 of clubs in the photo, they are same size the world over, easy to see the actual size of our items, I love ur lamp 

3 hours ago, Gordon 121 said:

I use cm for measurements rather than inches... 

Body 11.43 square x 25.4 tall, Base 12.7 Square X 3.81 Tall, Top 12.7 square x 1.27 tall.  Overall 30.48 tall.

I have an app called "Universal Unit Conversion" on my pc so I can translate metric to US dimensions so when you (the colective you) post you dims in cm's I can do a qick conversion to know what I'm looking at. 

On 11/21/2020 at 7:39 AM, FrankEV said:

A big THANK YOU is going out to Bernd (munzieb) who was willing to share the Hummingbird pattern for the lamp body side panels.

My version is also made from solid Oak.  Body Panels cut from 1/4x5 1/2 x 48 and the top and base was cut from 1/2x5 1/2x24.  The Base and top are my design.  The lamp body is 4 1/2" square by 10" tall. The base is 5 1/2" square x 1 1/2" tall.  The Top is 5 1/2 Square x 1/2" tall.

The vertical edges of the body panels were beveled to 45 degrees on my bench belt sander.  All the mitering and chamfering done for the base and top was done on the table saw.  I use a frame strap clamp during glue up to insure the base was square.  I use the scrolll saw to cut the cutouts in at the bottom of the base sides before glue up.  

Like Bernd, I used amber plexiglass. However, I made the plexiglass more translucent by applying velum with sparay adhesive to the inside face. 

The electrical components consist of a 6 ft lamp cord with an inline rocker switch, short lamp pipe nipple, candlelabra socket and LED bulb.  The top is loose fit for access to the bulb.

I stack cut the four sides and used Pegas #3 MGT R Blades.  Cutting the 1" thick stack was slow but not too difficult. 

After assembly and sanding, the lamp and the loose top was finished with many coats of clear gloss spray Lacquer.

Made this lamp for my lady as she loves Hummingbirds.   That makes two Hummingbird plaques, one Hummingbird framed piece and now this Hummingbird lamp .  She is Happy. 

Hummingbird lamp 1.jpg

Hummingbird lamp 2.jpg

Frank, that is gorgeous. I have that on my todo list also. You did a masterful job and I truly appreciate your detailed description. Thanks.

On 11/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, FrankEV said:

I have a combination belt and disk sander. the belt is vertical and has a small table in front of the belt.  The table can be adjusted fro 90 degrees to 45 degrees.

With the table tiped down to 45 degrees I simply lay the panel on the table and move it side to side while gently sanding the edge to a sharp pinted edge.  Kinda like sharpening a chisel on a grinder.  

Here is a couple of pics...sorry about the mess.

20201121_181959[1].jpg

20201121_182030[1].jpg

thank you for the information. I will have to go see if my combo belt sander is capable of doing that too.  If so, this can become a great help to me in the future. Thanks again for taking your time to show how you did that

Dick

heppnerguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 10:37 AM, heppnerguy said:

thank you for the information. I will have to go see if my combo belt sander is capable of doing that too.  If so, this can become a great help to me in the future. Thanks again for taking your time to show how you did that

Dick

heppnerguy

My sander does have the capability to do that but unfortunately the table part is not a very good one for that. Perhaps I can figure out how to make an extension and screw it on so it may work. I am not very good at that type of thing but I will try anyway.

Dick

heppnerguy