scroll sawed cross pecan pen

cjswoodcrafts

Jim,

Flocking is very tiny bits of fiber. A lot of folks use it for lining boxes to make it look like felt. I've used ultra-fine glitter in some pen inlays and just put a drop or two of thin CA. The CA will fill in around the glitter and adhere it to the wood. It works well for thin items, so on a pen like what you did, you would have to fill it about 1/3 full then add a drop or two of CA. after the CA sets (a few minutes) repeat two more times.

Did you fill the cross with anything? Epoxy or glue?

I bought some polymer clay but haven't use it yet. It's supposed to be pretty nice because it doesn't shrink much if at all when it hardens. But you have to harden it in an over.

Dan

Heres a definition I got from a company that sells flock. I use this for pens and box linings.

"Flocking" is a decoration process that enhances the way a wide variety of products are experienced by making ordinary surfaces seem far more magical and special. "Flocking" is the process of depositing millions of little individual cut fiber particles (called "flock") onto the surface of an article for the purpose of increasing the tactile sensation, aesthetics, color and appearance.

Flocking is used in many ways. One example is in modeling where a grassy texture may be applied to a surface to make it look more realistic. Another is on a Christmas Trees, which may be flocked with a fluffy white spray to simulate snow. The fuzzy inside of a jewelry box is flocking, it protect fine jewelry from scratches and dings.