question about adhearing a 12" disc on my sander

Puzzleguy

I have a couple of boxs of 12" commercial grade sanding discs , but they do not have adhesive on the back

was given to me years ago - and i had a tube of Delta brand adhesive that you use to apply to the metal backing plate,  when the machine was running and then tack

the round disc on - but its dried out and cannot find a suitable replacement -these discs are commercial grade and are exspensive - ( they last a long time )

was thinking about putting double sided tape on the back and apply them to my  sander - but not sure if that would work .

These things are not light weight - and i need to know they wont come off -

Any suggestions (  also worried about something being to strong of a bond -need to replace these every so often )

any ideas ? 

Edited by Puzzleguy

When I worked in the body shop years ago we used 3M-77 spray adhesive to put our sanding disc on.. I would think this would work well.. But they are tough to get back off.. since they don't need changed often you should be good for a long time.. Heat gun works pretty good to pull them back off.. 

I used to use spray contact cement, and to get them of, just lever the edge up a little and dribble thinners between the paper and the disk.
I have since put velcro on the disk and purchase the cling back disks. Makes using various grits easy and possible.

Thank you all so very much -will get the 3m adhesive

though maybe carpet tape -But looking back I dont remember it holding very well -

the discs i have are commercial - and they seem a bit hard to flex - ( the carpet tape pulled off the metal disc )

Ive had problems with the 3m spray adhesives - but that was few years ago -

use to use something called spray away ( cant find that )

again thank you one and all !  Merry Christmas

On 12/20/2020 at 8:39 AM, Puzzleguy said:

Thank you all so very much -will get the 3m adhesive

though maybe carpet tape -But looking back I dont remember it holding very well -

the discs i have are commercial - and they seem a bit hard to flex - ( the carpet tape pulled off the metal disc )

Ive had problems with the 3m spray adhesives - but that was few years ago -

use to use something called spray away ( cant find that )

again thank you one and all !  Merry Christmas

The trick with 3M 77 is to spray both surfaces and let it sit until it is almost dry to the touch. Then slap them together. Very much like contact cement.