A Burning question

LarryEA

I have a pyrography machine 'Peter Childs'  and  find something like this that holds very fine tips probably your best bet.  I believe one called RazorTip is popular in the USA but here's a page that may be of interest.

https://craftandleisure.com/best-wood-burning-tools-pyrography-pens-buyers-guide-1020/

I cannot remember what mine is, LOL.. Been a while since I've used it.. They no longer make the brand but the parts and pens from either colwood or razortip fits my machine.. Nothing better than a quality burners set.. I used to use one of those cheap hobby lobby type big bulky burner sets.. but these higher end machines have much better heat control and the pen isn't a huge heavy thing to hold onto.. almost like using a regular ink pen.. well worth the money if you're getting into burning..

46 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

Larry can you post a picture?  Maybe we can offer up some ideas.  I have used a wood burner on some projects but it takes a fair amount of trial and error.

Scott, I believe I could do the burning but I'll have my Niece who is practicing and she will do a good job. She has a steady hand, I do not.

The fine lines are the ones around the windows and door. Almost all straight line burns.

The problem is more a drill bit size problem. I have #68 (.0310”/.787mm) drill bits.

The #68 (.0310”/.787mm) are too big. 

The pattern I am using is 8" x 10", still the lines are to small to drill.

Almost all of the lines are a straight line burns.

larryEA pattern.jpg

Edited by LarryEA

5 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

Larry that is going to be a challenge any way you do it.  If the wood is light color you might even want to try a very fine point India Ink pen and a small ruler.  India Ink does not bleed like many markers do.  To be safe you might to test on a piece of the same wood. 

Scott, I ordered the smallest India ink pen I could find,  0.2mm and 0.3 mm

Maybe small enough. If not I can use them on other parts.