Red Oak Plywood

justjimmyb

I need some help I live 2 miles from a WoodCraft Supply and they no longer have nor will they ever again have 12 x 12 1/8 thick red oak plywood. What a kick in the head for me !!!! So needless to say after telling "someone no problem I can do it!!" I will just run to the WoodCraft Store and pick up the 30to 40 sheets I need for this project. at .99 cents each. Well as stated above you can see my problem! Question is where do I get it now ???

I did find it @ Sloans Woodshop for $1.75 each plus shiping.

Next question where can i get it cheaper and faster? I live in Fort Worth Tx

Please help

Thanks

Jimmy

jbar850626@aol.com

If you have a table saw, you can cut down your own. Just find a hardwood dealer near you and they sell ply in 4x8' sheets. Much cheaper that way. You can use Woodfinderto find a dealer near you. This is how I get my plywood, anyway. My other suggestion would be Sloans. They have very good service and the stuff I bought from them was top notch. You could also check eBay. I know there are a lot of lumber dealers there too.

If you need 30 to 40 sheet for the project, then I assume you are constructing something and not just cutting out a portrait. The only thing I use ply for anymore is portraits. When constructing my clocks I use nothing but solid wood. I do this by using a planer. Now I'm not suggesting you run out right now and buy a planer. I'm just giving you an idea if you already have one. Most of my clocks incorporate small enough parts that I can use scraps from my bigger projects. I then plane it down to 1/4 or 1/8, whichever one I need. I drooled for months over the higher priced planers that I couldn't afford. I wound up settling on a Ryobi for less than two bills. It's not the greatest in the world, but it gets the job done. When finished, you wouldn't believe the difference solid wood makes over ply.

Also, most of my wood isn't bought. I have several places around town I frequent for the sole purpose of rading their scrap piles (with permission of course) for useable wood. You wouldn't believe the stuff some construction companies consider scrap. "One man's trash is another man's treasure". As for my clocks, I love the fact that I can use mahogany. There is an industrial company here that uses 28 x 80 sheets of mahogany, oak, and pecan. They laminate solid strips together to obtain these sheets and plain them to 1" thick. At the end of the line, if there is as much as a crack in them, they are scrap. I give a few projects to one of their employees for free from time to time and I get a phone call when they are about to put free material on the lot. Man, I got lucky the day I met that employee.