Knock-Knock. What's There?

Joe W.

8 hours ago, Joe W. said:

Great idea (sound recording) and thank you for it - I am attaching the MP3 file will upload (fingers crossed) for all to listen to.  The recording is a little over a minute long and starts at the lowest speed setting and goes to the highest and then back down again.  
And I appreciate your thought that I might be hearing a perfectly normal sound and just don't know it. 
I wish that were the case, but I don't think so. 
But as my mother used to say:  "You are never so right that you can't be wrong".

DW788 Sound.mp3 1.78 MB · 10 downloads

Definitely doesn't sound right. I think it might be time to go back through it and recheck everything. Something is out of whack for sure. 

I have not followed all of this thread,,, because I no longer own a DeWalt but I will ask/suggest two things... Check youtube if you have not.... That is my first go to repair place.... There are videos on all types of repairs/rebuilds on all types of equipment.... and two, I know there are two, maybe more sites/videos on the DeWalt scroll saw...and I think they are mentioned in this thread.... . If they do not discuss your problem.... have tried to email them and let them listen to your recording.... They may be willing to help.... Having owned a DeWalt scroll saw,,, I know you have a problem.... It does not sound normal,,, at all... but it may and probably is an easy fix...

Edited by Scrappile

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

I know you have a problem.... It does not sound normal,,, at all... but it may and probably is an easy fix...

Hi Paul,

we will see - I ordered the connecting rod and will replace that for starters.  
I think I've found all the videos and reference material that's on the net and am always looking for more.
with any luck, this problem will be solved in a few days.

1 hour ago, amazingkevin said:

I've had a long bolt come loose on the main conneting rod .Tightend it up and used lock tight problem fixed . also in the lower front was a broken bolt holding the moving levers .Tight as a drum  won't fall out but broken.

Kevin,

Yeah, the bolt on the connecting rod is double nutted so no worries there on my unit.  The problem reminds me of trying to find a chirping cricket in the house.  It's gotta be in there somewhere!

On 1/7/2021 at 8:58 PM, Joe W. said:

Kevin,

Yeah, the bolt on the connecting rod is double nutted so no worries there on my unit.  The problem reminds me of trying to find a chirping cricket in the house.  It's gotta be in there somewhere!

My first disecting a Dewalt was overwhelming to find any play in the moving mechanisms. But miniscule play here and there adds up to big play somewhere. Car axel grease in ALL the bearings cure that going on 5-6 years now of heavy scrolling. It's hard to pull more than 1.5 on the blade tension dial, Usually I'm add 1

On 1/7/2021 at 8:58 PM, Joe W. said:

Kevin,

Another problem i had was i forgot to put the bushing back in one of the bearings. That saw is on the shelve as i needed to scroll now but will get to it someday.

8 hours ago, amazingkevin said:

But miniscule play here and there adds up to big play somewhere. Car axel grease in ALL the bearings cure that going on 5-6 years now of heavy scrolling.

Yeah, roger that on the car axel grease - I got the Valvoline full synthetic and used it for all the bearings/sleeves - except for the connecting rod - which is in the mail coming to me. 
My son-in-law is a mechanic and has the drift tool Ray used in his video to spread the vertical assembly in order to remove the connecting rod from it, so I am optimistic in being able to make that replacement. 
Really hoping that will be the source of the knocking.  But even if it isn't, it will eliminate that as the cause and help zero in on where the knocking is coming from.   

4 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

Here is another sight that is super easy to understand and might find a little more helpful. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks Dick. I had not seen this one before and I learned something from it. I was under the mistaken impression that it was the tension rod that was striking the cover. I didn't didn't know it was the upper arm. So, with that said, I must take back my previous instruction regarding the rod. This video gave a very good example of how much and where to remove material from the cover. I didn't have to remove that much from mine. Just goes to prove the old saying that you're never too old to learn something.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks Dick. I had not seen this one before and I learned something from it. I was under the mistaken impression that it was the tension rod that was striking the cover. I didn't didn't know it was the upper arm. So, with that said, I must take back my previous instruction regarding the rod. This video gave a very good example of how much and where to remove material from the cover. I didn't have to remove that much from mine. Just goes to prove the old saying that you're never too old to learn something.

I ran across this post a couple of months ago and found it a lot shorter and more to the point then the others. I tore down a DeWalt  scroll saw that I gave to my grandson several years ago and cleaned and greased everything and it ran like new. I did not have to do anything with the upper  arm on that machine. I am glad you found it helpful also. 

Dick

heppnerguy 

14 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

I ran across this post a couple of months ago and found it a lot shorter and more to the point then the others. I tore down a DeWalt  scroll saw that I gave to my grandson several years ago and cleaned and greased everything and it ran like new. I did not have to do anything with the upper  arm on that machine. I am glad you found it helpful also. 

Dick

heppnerguy 

What saw are you using now Dick? I know you do some very nice work.

7 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

What saw are you using now Dick? I know you do some very nice work.

My saw is an Excalibur. I have 2 of them and one DeWalt. I bought my first Ex  from  Paul (Scrappile). Then I continued a search to find one more for a backup. They were hard to find, once they stopped producing them. Everyone seemed to be hanging onto what they had. I finally got lucky and found one on Craigslist in Phoenix. It was about three years old and purchased for a grandson to give him something to do when he visited him in the winter. But fortunately for me, the kid only spent a couple of hours on it and never was interested and did not touch it again. So it sat unused from the first hour or so it was used. Finally the grandfather decided it was taking up space in the shop for nothing and posted it. An hour after he made the post I had it in my car and have been using it every since. Oh, by the way, I got it for $200

Dick

heppnerguy

On 1/10/2021 at 7:13 PM, Joe W. said:

Yeah, roger that on the car axel grease - I got the Valvoline full synthetic and used it for all the bearings/sleeves - except for the connecting rod - which is in the mail coming to me. 
My son-in-law is a mechanic and has the drift tool Ray used in his video to spread the vertical assembly in order to remove the connecting rod from it, so I am optimistic in being able to make that replacement. 
Really hoping that will be the source of the knocking.  But even if it isn't, it will eliminate that as the cause and help zero in on where the knocking is coming from.   

Just in case you don,t know your drill press can press in an out for you using sockets, round stock etc.

1 hour ago, heppnerguy said:

My saw is an Excalibur. I have 2 of them and one DeWalt. I bought my first Ex  from  Paul (Scrappile). Then I continued a search to find one more for a backup. They were hard to find, once they stopped producing them. Everyone seemed to be hanging onto what they had. I finally got lucky and found one on Craigslist in Phoenix. It was about three years old and purchased for a grandson to give him something to do when he visited him in the winter. But fortunately for me, the kid only spent a couple of hours on it and never was interested and did not touch it again. So it sat unused from the first hour or so it was used. Finally the grandfather decided it was taking up space in the shop for nothing and posted it. An hour after he made the post I had it in my car and have been using it every since. Oh, by the way, I got it for $200

Dick

heppnerguy

You did better than me. I have an EX16 and 21 with a total of $550 invested and about 4 hours of driving time.

11 hours ago, amazingkevin said:

Just in case you don't know your drill press can press in an out for you using sockets, round stock etc.

Yes, I've heard or seen of that somewhere before. 
I don't have a drill press (yet - my birthday's coming) so will use my son-in-law's shop.  it's good to have a mechanic in the family.