Much better now . . .

Joe W.

Good Day all,

My DeWalt 788 sounds much better now compared to the sound recording I uploaded Jan 4th.  
I replaced the connecting rod assembly after cleaning out what little grease there was in the bearing and adding new synthetic grease to it and the sleeve.
Using a drift pin my son-in-law had, I had the old connecting rod out with no trouble - the right tools make all the difference.
There is still a little knocking sound that starts  just below the number 4 speed setting and goes away at just below the number 5 setting.  The knocking stops and doesn't return until it gets to full speed/power at the number 8 setting.  My guess is the two bearings on the vertical assembly may be responsible for that. 
The knocking is much less pronounced than before, so I've decided to start using the saw for now and order a set of bearings/install them when  they come in.
Someone on the forum once posted about parts sailing away - so true!  the tension sleeve fell out of my hand and disappeared under the worktable - and stopped at the most distant place under everything else that was in the way.  Then there was one of the thrust washers that fell into the upper assembly hiding by the bellows.   Took me a couple minutes to find that one!

So all in all - a happy ending - no leftover or missing parts and the saw does sound much better.

Thanks for your comments and thanks to Bob B for his video series.  Especially for pointing out the reverse thread on the motor and use of the drift pin.