I got ants!

Joe W.

Sometimes it's just bad luck. I'm no expert and I break stuff all the time, but there are a couple of things I do. If a pattern is drawn with something that seems unnecessarily flimsy I alter it to make it stronger. Add a bridge, widen a small bridge. If you're cutting something that's going to be very fragile there is usually a better side to cut first if that makes sense. An example would be this lower case e. If you start cutting with the inside line rather that the outside you stand a much better chance of not breaking the fragile part held by the tiny bridge. I'd probably also make the bridge a bit larger too. I'll sacrifice a little on looks to decrease my chances of breaking something. Especially as I get closer to finishing.  Probably stuff you already know. :) 

e.jpg

13 minutes ago, Charlie E said:

Sometimes it's just bad luck. I'm no expert and I break stuff all the time, but there are a couple of things I do. If a pattern is drawn with something that seems unnecessarily flimsy I alter it to make it stronger. Add a bridge, widen a small bridge. If you're cutting something that's going to be very fragile there is usually a better side to cut first if that makes sense. An example would be this lower case e. If you start cutting with the inside line rather that the outside you stand a much better chance of not breaking the fragile part held by the tiny bridge. I'd probably also make the bridge a bit larger too. I'll sacrifice a little on looks to decrease my chances of breaking something. Especially as I get closer to finishing.  Probably stuff you already know. :) 

e.jpg

Also, not really on the same topic, but if you're not using a magnifying light I highly recommend one. I got a cheap one from Harbor Freight thinking I'd just use it for intricate stuff and now I don't cut anything without it. Differing opinions on this I'm sure but I love mine. 

On 2/7/2021 at 11:13 AM, Charlie E said:

. . . but there are a couple of things I do. . .

Thanks Charlie.  Funny the tips like these you don't find in any of the books/reference material on scroll sawing.  I'll add these to my "Book of Scroll Sawing Knowledge".

And oh, yes, I just got YOCTOSUN Head Mount Magnifier with 2 Led Professional Jeweler's Loupe Light Bracket and Headband with 1 - 3.5 magnification power Interchangeable lens from Amazon for just under $20.  A little odd - they go 1/1.5/2/2.5/3.5 - for some reason skipping the 3 power.  I haven't tried cutting with them yet, but did experiment with the lens, settling on 2 and 2.5 as the most promising powers to use.  I do wear glasses and I use the magnifier with the elastic headband and it fits comfortably.  We are having a bit of cold snap here in Delaware and the garage is a little cold for any long stints at the scroll saw.  So I'm doing other stuff. 
As I was cutting the ants out, I was having to get close to the work and wishing I had the magnifier.  Just after I finished the piece, the magnifier came in the mail!   

4 hours ago, Joe W. said:

Thanks Charlie.  Funny the tips like these you don't find in any of the books/reference material on scroll sawing.  I'll add these to my "Book of Scroll Sawing Knowledge".

And oh, yes, I just got YOCTOSUN Head Mount Magnifier with 2 Led Professional Jeweler's Loupe Light Bracket and Headband with 1 - 3.5 magnification power Interchangeable lens from Amazon for just under $20.  A little odd - they go 1/1.5/2/2.5/3.5 - for some reason skipping the 3 power.  I haven't tried cutting with them yet, but did experiment with the lens, settling on 2 and 2.5 as the most promising powers to use.  I do wear glasses and I use the magnifier with the elastic headband and it fits comfortably.  We are having a bit of cold snap here in Delaware and the garage is a little cold for any long stints at the scroll saw.  So I'm doing other stuff. 
As I was cutting the ants out, I was having to get close to the work and wishing I had the magnifier.  Just after I finished the piece, the magnifier came in the mail!   

I have a magnifying light on a stand but seems like there would be advantages to a head mounted one. If your experience is anything like mine you'll love it. It's like night and day for me. I'm thankful to have an infrared gas heater in my shop. You don't move enough to stay warm at a scroll saw. :) 

On 2/8/2021 at 2:56 PM, Joe W. said:

Tips an tricks!!!