DW788 blowing fuses

Byron Wells

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Knowing that you have stuck brushes makes me wonder whether it could be that the motor was becoming jammed by a broken brush and causing it to overload that fuse. 
Also, as another suggestion, since you live in Florida and so does @amazingkevinKevin, he always has a dozen or so Dewalts laying around that he uses for parts and rebuild saws. He might be in a position to sell you one of them and you could do a rebuild on it and have another Dewalt for your business. Having 2 of the same machine makes sense to me. 

Occurred to me after posting my comments. ALSO didn't put in, any time a fuse blows, its a piece of metal over heating and braking the connection. Checking wires should be right up there before plugging in another fuse. Wires can heat and melt the insulation, leaving bare wire. So many different problems with any electrical system. Overloading outlets with heaters during winter can smoke wires. Not a bad idea to open the outlet plates for any heavy amp machines or heaters and check to see if its black in there. Generally starts heating at the connection and can melt wire down the line. RJF

2 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I also sold that one you speak of. If I recall it ran about $100 or so. I sold some stuff from an out by the name of PowerProbe that was great for electrical troubleshooting on automotive stuff. I've not sold anything for AC. 

I think that is exactly the brand I've seen most used for automotive. RJF

4 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I also sold that one you speak of. If I recall it ran about $100 or so. I sold some stuff from an out by the name of PowerProbe that was great for electrical troubleshooting on automotive stuff. I've not sold anything for AC. 

Worked for GE for a year doing appliance repair. Was 'trained' by their school for AC. Regs chenged and there had to be so many school hours in AC and testing for freon. That ended that job. RJF

2 minutes ago, teachnlearn said:

I think that is exactly the brand I've seen most used for automotive. RJF

They are a great company. I used to sell them and now my son is selling them. They are located not far from where I live. I used to go up to their place to get stuff repaired when one of my mechanics didn't quite understand how to use a PowerProbe and would fry it. They always repaired or replaced them for free or very cheap.

6 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I was talking about a.c. current, not AC as air con.

OOPS, thinking of sales to mechanics my brain turned to AC systems for cars. RJF

Note; I would get an AC breaker finder that could handle 240 and 120. There are many that just do 120 with works for the week end home owner.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=220+volt+circuit+breaker+finder&ref=nb_sb_noss

Edited by teachnlearn
added note

On 2/18/2021 at 7:12 PM, octoolguy said:

Knowing that you have stuck brushes makes me wonder whether it could be that the motor was becoming jammed by a broken brush and causing it to overload that fuse. 
Also, as another suggestion, since you live in Florida and so does @amazingkevinKevin, he always has a dozen or so Dewalts laying around that he uses for parts and rebuild saws. He might be in a position to sell you one of them and you could do a rebuild on it and have another Dewalt for your business. Having 2 of the same machine makes sense to me. 

Selling a dewalt would be a plus for me right now,I'm game!!!

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Kevin, chat this guy up and see if you're close to each other. Might be a win-win.

@byron999, @byron wells, I hope you see this. It might be your solution. Buying a new Delta is not a good thing as their service sucks. Warranty or not they will have your saw for a good while.

Edited by octoolguy