Fiona Kingdon WIP

RabidAlien

9 hours ago, jollyred said:

Nicely cut.  

I have found in my cold shop that fingerless gloves can help a lot with keeping the hands warm.  Mine are just brown jersey gloves that I attacked with a pair of scissors.  

Tom

I have thought of doing that myself, many times....usually when the snow/ice are bad enough that even my dumb self isn't dumb enough to get out and drive.  :)

31 minutes ago, barb.j.enders said:

Very nice cutting.  Would it be easier if the wood were thicker?  That is on my list to cut as well, after another 7 layer mandala!

Possibly, or double-stacked.  With thin pieces like this (several cases of long, thin peninsulas and one or two spirals connected to the rest by just one tiny stem), I think the risk of breakage is going to be high regardless.  I started taping the waste back in place after cutting a section with a fragile spot.  The top of the pattern started looking like a patchwork quilt!

Huge Fiona fan here, and I have all her available patterns, except for one tree one....  My last 4 finished projects have been her patterns and the one on my saw now is hers...  I am anxious to follow your progress on this one... You are being very brave using that thin of wood.... I would not attempt it....But, so far I haven't found the wood I want to use...  It will be 3/8" or 1/2"... 

Please keep the progress reports/pictures coming... Looking mighty good so far.

2 minutes ago, RabidAlien said:

Possibly, or double-stacked.  With thin pieces like this (several cases of long, thin peninsulas and one or two spirals connected to the rest by just one tiny stem), I think the risk of breakage is going to be high regardless.  I started taping the waste back in place after cutting a section with a fragile spot.  The top of the pattern started looking like a patchwork quilt!

I do the taping it waste in also, helps.  Also helps protect the fragile pieces already cut for getting broke by my clumsy fingers while I am moving the piece around.... Another thing I will do, it the piece is real fragile, I will finish the cut then turn the board over and 'reinforce' the thinest areas of that piece with CA glue to give it more strength..  A couple times when I was going to cut something I knew was going to real fragile,,, before I even started drilling holes, I 'painted' the back side with thinned epoxy, to give more strength.. 

On 2/18/2021 at 9:52 AM, Scrappile said:

I do the taping it waste in also, helps.  Also helps protect the fragile pieces already cut for getting broke by my clumsy fingers while I am moving the piece around.... Another thing I will do, it the piece is real fragile, I will finish the cut then turn the board over and 'reinforce' the thinest areas of that piece with CA glue to give it more strength..  A couple times when I was going to cut something I knew was going to real fragile,,, before I even started drilling holes, I 'painted' the back side with thinned epoxy, to give more strength.. 

That's a great tip about "painting" the back of a piece in an area of perceived fragility with thinned epoxy  in advance of cutting it.

Edited by Frank Pellow

On 2/17/2021 at 9:07 PM, RabidAlien said:

Work in progress, Fiona Kingdon's "Any Port In The Storm" pattern from the spring SSWWC magazine.  Always wanted to cut one of hers!  FD 2/0 blades, VERY slow speed, 3/16 ply.  Got the last layer on the saw as we speak.  Very thin, fragile piece, there's no zipping from one cut to the next.  This one you DEFINITELY want to plan ahead so that every spot ends with you cutting along a section of wood that's adjacent to an uncut area, for stability.  I had one spot snap because I wasn't paying attention to the direction I started the cut, just went my normal counter-clockwise and ended up having it break on me.  Two others cracked as I was removing the pattern but were fixable with a little wood glue.  This one took a while to cut......I'd guestimate about 15 hours or so, because I wasn't rushing anything and temperatures have dropped down into the single digits and even with two heaters going, the fan blowing sawdust out of the way just made my fingers start hurting.  :)  So, basically....it was an awesome time!

I thank you for letting me know about this piece.  I've, now ordered the pattern from Fiona and will be starting on it soon (with thicker wood 😃).

• 2 years later...