Nautilus Gear

Joe W.

6 hours ago, FrankEV said:

Could not figure where a tensioning piece was on the cutting.  Light bulb finally lit up after rereading again and realized you were talking about your saw, dahhh. 

Hi Frank,

I probably should have posted that part of the entry in another message - maybe Q&A.  
I did adjust the set screws this morning and last evening ordered a new tension knob and clamps.  Fingers crossed for a normal delivery time for parts.

A very interesting pattern. I thought for sure I would see a reply from Scrappile and he did not let me down. I know first hand that he enjoys the little gear projects, he comes across.

It is almost mind boggling to look at it and understand that is can actually turn smoothly.

Dick

heppnerguy

1 hour ago, heppnerguy said:

It is almost mind boggling to look at it and understand that is can actually turn smoothly.

Here's a link you can copy and paste that takes you to Steve Good's website showing the gear in operation and also has some additional information about it.

https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2020/06/nautilus-gears-scroll-saw-pattern.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I made one today from scrap Plywood. It does work except I notice that the depthing of the teeth to the root are not consistent. The teeth go from slight contact to complete contact. Does yours do that?

The one I made works fairly smoothly.  Te mesh of the teeth seemed to be fairly consistent.

My problem was the size of the hole I made in the gears was too big (did not have the correct bit as specified) and the allignment was very sloppy.  Did not think a 32th of an inch would make a big difference but it did.  However, by adding some tape to the dowels I was able to center the gears and now all works fine.