Attaching Patterns.......

CHawkins

I figure this question has been asked many,many times, and I myself have used many methods. All of them that involved attaching a paper pattern to the work piece always left a glue residue after removing wich required sanding. I am not a fan of the sanding especially when working with 1/8 ply. I have used carbon paper to transfer the pattern, but find this too time consuming with intricate patterns. Soooooo! What methods do ya'll use? :popcorn:

Masking tape (painters tape?) on the wood, spray adhesive on back of pattern and stick to masking tape, then clear packing tape over the top.

This is the way I do it too most of the time.

Depending on the project, I'll spray the pattern and stick it directly to the wood. Then I put clear packing tape over the top. As far as glue residue on the wood, I'm wondering if you're putting the pattern on the wood too quickly. When you spray the back of your pattern, wait until its tacky like a post-it note. Then apply to the wood. If you put it on while its wet, you'll have a big mess on your hands. BTW, I almost never spray the wood directly.

If you apply the pattern directly to the wood, use some mineral spirits to soak the paper. When it becomes translucent and soft (in a minute or so). The pattern will practically slide right off without any of the glue residue (this is assuming you don't put clear packing tape on the pattern).

I think I've tried every method mentioned and then some. The method that I've used for the last 10 years has served me well and I feel is the easiest and quickest. I use 3m Super 77 spray Glue (not the cheapest, but I believe the best) applied to back of pattern only. Apply a liberal amount and wait about 15 seconds then place directly on the wood. The ONLY time I use clear packing tape on top of pattern is if I'm cuttin 3/4 oak or other dense hardwoods.This helps prevent burning to a certain degree, but keeping a sharp blade in the saw is a MUST to stop the scorching.

When removing the pattern, I use a shallow baking dish and apply mineral spirits with a soft brush. Allow to soak until pattern turns translucent ( like Travis) and lifts off in 1 piece. After removing, use a soft brush and gently brush mineral spirts all over the area where the pattern was. Allow to dry.

The reason I don't use blue painters tape is that on very fragile areas, you risk breaking small pieces trying to lift it off. For me it is just extra time and expense without added benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't care to soak wood myself, I try to keep it dry.

I also use painters tape ,,, If you peel carefully and with a little thought, nothing breaks off.

If you just let er rip without thinking, then yeah you are apt to break pieces off.

Often the tape will come off in 1 piece, leaving a sticky copy of what I just made, and I usually stick those on a window or work bench or something - Its like spawning a free vinyl cutout.

But other times, you are better off taking it off in sections, to avoid fracturing fragile sections.

I have been buying shelf liner paper at Home Depot, and using that to put on the wood first then glue the pattern to it. Easier to peel off and sometimes might need a little sanding. Lot easier than doing the glue to the wood method, mostly end up sanding it off. I don't soak my stuff to get the glue to soften up. Can't take the smells. Cut the liner to 8-1/2 x 11 sheets and stack couple books on them. then use when I need to.

Jim B

• 9 months later...

Spray the glue on the paper pattern. Wait for about 10 minutes before applying to the wood. Then use packing tape. Once the project is finished, use the heat gun... it practically slides off. A few rubs with a damp rag with mineral spirits and voila!!! It leaves the wood just as smooth as it was in the beginning. The whole removal time including rubbing off the glue is about 10 minutes.

Bobby

I found out on another forum about using GLAD PRESS AND SEAL, available at your grocery store. Sand your wood down to about 320 grit. Apply the press and seal to the wood smoothing it out with a small roller or I use a spatula type flat edge like a credit card. Cut the excess from around the wood. Spray the back side of your pattern with adhesive and apply to the press and seal. Removes very easily when done cutting, no residue. I will never go back to using painter's tape again.

Mick