Spindle Sander

Dan

I'm thinking of getting an oscillating spindle sander from Harbor Freight. If anyone has or had one, what are your thoughts on it? I like the price and it wouldn't be used much. My wife has been bugging me to do more intarsia. I told her I didn't have all the right tools so she said, "You have a birthday coming up?" Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

Dan I have one I bought three + years ago from Menards. It's not a major brand name but it works great and I give it a workout when I'm doing my intarsia. It looks similar to the one harbor freight has. I think I paid about the same when I bought mine. If your going to do more intarsia I would get one. I didn't have a lot to spend when I bought it but it works great. And it gets used alot. I don't know how I got by without it. I buy the sanding drums from harbor freight too. They sell it in a set(one for each drum size), and it works great.

once you have one you'll be surprised at how much you'll use it.

I don't have the Harbor Freight sander but I have the combination belt and spindle sander from Rigid. (Homedepot)

It is more money ($199 not on sale). I find I use the belt a lot and usually have that on more than the spindles. I do a lot of pens and I use the belt to square the ends. It also does edges very well.

The other minus is that the largest spindle is 2 inches but you can use the end of the belt.

The warranty is 3 years versus 90 days/one year (what ever that means). My original machine had the lifetime warranty and when I moved recently the movers stripped the thread. I took it back, confessed my sins and since the part was not available they replaced the machine with a refurbished model and it works great.

Just a my thoughts.

Thanks guys. Since I have a belt/disc sander, I'll probably go with the HF sander. I would like to get a better one but no way do I want to fork over $400, $200 would be pushing the limit.

All the intarsia I've done (not really a lot) was done without one and I always had troubles getting a good fit. I think the sander will help a lot. Does anyone use it for anything besides intarsia?

Dan

Well, I did it. I met my wife for lunch and she took me to Harbor Freight. The original price of the sander is now $159. The sale price is $129. The local store was giving another 20% off so I took it. My wife bought the two year warranty and the total cost was about $129. With the warranty, I can just take it back to the store and get a replacement, no questions asked (so they say). I hope I never have to use the warranty, but plan on giving it a go this weekend.

Dan