Navy piece

crupiea

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GusGustin said:

My Grandson - just left for the NAVY today. I could not be more proud. 

This is truly a great one!   I think I would love to make this for him so when he gets out of boot camp (at Great Lakes) It would be ready for him.

I'm with Amazing Kevin, though. Man - your stuff is so perfect .. just wondering how .. 

Congrats on your grandson joining the Navy. I did 20 years myself. 

Thanks for the nice words.

To do this, its basically fretwork but instead of tossing the little waste pieces,. You collect them and keep them.   Paint them and insert them, back into the piece. Glue it all to the backing. I mark them on the backs what color they need to be. 

The holes are right in the corners of the black outline so you need some small bits. I use #73 bits and a 2/0 jewelers blade.  

The pattern is pretty much what you see. i just print the pics out color and all and spray glue it to the wood and off I go. 

The hardest part is not losing the pieces.  inevitably this will happen.  Drives me nuts and i cant tell you how much time I spend crawling around on all fours looking for tiny pieces. lol

@crupiea

hahahahaha .. I know what you mean .. that's hilarious .. I did 20 in the Coast Guard, then, another 15 as a Deputy Sheriff .. man - I'd HATE to be a cop nowadays .. but .. I'd love to be back in, the service - Navy and Coast Guard were just one big family.

I spent many a day at Navy schools, stand SP for the Navy when I was on duty in Long Beach and San Diego (home town). Almost every weekend - the Navy and CG were playing either Baseball or football on the grass in Mission Bay. Miss those days. 

I see you're in C.V. - me - I'm up in NorCal .. Sonoma County. I took my wife down that way - before we got married - I told her - "you're gonna see why I stayed in Sonoma County. I didn't know that the mountains and hills actually had trees. In San Diego - they have only BOULDERS. Lots and Lots of Boulders."

She couldn't believe it. I took her in via Hwy 15 - so she could see where I grew up .. Murrieta and Clairemont .. GO WARHAWKS .. hahahahaha . . . 

Okay .. thanks ..I'll download that picture .. and give it a try .. I will post it up so you can see it .. and have it done for him by the time he gets out of boot camp.

What do you think? 1/4" Baltic Birch or 1/2" ????? I have 3/4" too .. in fact .. I just found a source .. YOU WON'T BELIEVE this .. I just picked up 3 sheets .. full sheets .. of 1/8" BB and 24" perfect circles of 3/4" BB .. the good stuff .. for free .. I could have taken more, but, I'll go down again tomorrow .. and get more. WHAT A SCORE.  Well .. Thanks, sir, and I'll talk to you later. We'll be coming down that way as soon as it's safe to travel again.

Fair Winds and Following Seas !!!!