airbrush kits

red river

First, you need to know what you want to spray with your airbrush.

There is also a skill issue. You are going to need to learn how to use it and practice.

You will need to learn how to mix and filter your finishes. Each one is a bit different.

You also have to clean and maintain your airbrush and associated equipment.

Cheap airbrushes are throwaways. If you break something, and you will, you will soon discover that parts are difficult to find and may cost more than you paid for the airbrush. The tips are fragile.

To try it out, get the Harbor Freight Airbrush Kit. The compressor will work ( I have one), and it comes with an airbrush. When it comes time to buy a new airbrush, buy a Badger.

The Badger 155 Anthem is an excellent all-around airbrush that will spray anything you are likely to want to use. It's made in the USA, and parts are readily available. It has seals the will hold up to solvents which a lot of cheaper airbrushes will not. Lacquer thinner will eat the seals. It is my go to airbrush.

I have a drawer full of cheap airbrushes. I also have six Badger airbrushes. I spray shellac and cheap acrylics, including house paint.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Wayne, it's more than likely a Badger. S/O was famous for branding good stuff with their name. Not so much anymore.

I knew that. I purchased a mig welder and it was a Miller Machine as well as some other things. I really liked the tools and our sale person was a stand guy.

I do not miss those days. Hard on the body especially after 45 years of it. 

2 hours ago, WayneMahler said:

I knew that. I purchased a mig welder and it was a Miller Machine as well as some other things. I really liked the tools and our sale person was a stand guy.

I do not miss those days. Hard on the body especially after 45 years of it. 

Using the tools was a tough as selling them Wayne. I spent many of my "off" hours chasing the flakes that ran out on me. It was the one part of the job that I hated but now that my son is in the business, everything has changed. Nobody can run anymore. Too many computers.

I have one similar to the harbor freight one.  took some fiddling about with it but got it figured out. 

The main thing for me was thinning the paint correctly so it sprays evenly.  Simple enough, just bought some stuff just for that and it was easy.  I am anal about the tools so cleaning it is a bit if a hassle because if the tiny parts. 

What I noticed was it was hard to get a good base coat so I would spray paint it all white first with a rattle can and once thats dry the airbushing was easier. 

Its nice to be able to shade pieces.  It is not that great for large areas. 

of course there are a bunch of types and whenever that is the case you will encounter snobs who will insist on only the finest most expensive ones.  To try it out though, the cheapo fit my needs just fine. 

I highly recommend the badger Anthem 155. They have a top feed version if you prefer that.

DUAL ACTION, INTERNAL MIX, SIPHON (BOTTOM) FEED

The Anthem®, Model 155, is the most comfortable, reliable, proficient, cost effective, user friendly airbrush ever. The two angle needle tip precisely mates with the Anthem's cone shaped nozzle enabling a single needle/nozzle configuration to spray virtually any desired material, thus eliminating the need for fine, medium, or large needle/nozzle variations. The Anthem's body design provides exacting balance and long term user comfort. The Anthem® also provides flawless performance in the most rigorous of production airbrushing environments.

FEATURES
• Single needle/nozzle for spraying all mediums, inks, dyes, watercolors, acrylics, enamels, lacquers, glazes, latex, Air-Opaqueª, Air-Tex®, MODELflex® Totally Tattoo® and Totally Tanª colors
Single needle/nozzle sprays pencil lines to 3" (76mm) spray pattern
• Minimal spare parts to stock
• Easy maintenance and cleaning
• Fastest needle release on the market
• Finger tight assembly tolerances
• Excellent for multiple applications for novice to advanced airbrushers
• Lifetime warranty on labor and PTFE seals
• Fine replacement parts now available

Ok, @BadBob and others, so quick question, if I already have a small compressor(s) available do I just need  the air brush setup it’s self?  I’ve considered an airbrush for a long time off and on, just never have pulled the trigger. I do have Mother’s Day and my birthday coming up next month and I know the question will be coming and I need an answer so this could be it. 😉😏☺️🤫🥳 

22 hours ago, meflick said:

Ok, @BadBob and others, so quick question, if I already have a small compressor(s) available do I just need  the air brush setup it’s self?  I’ve considered an airbrush for a long time off and on, just never have pulled the trigger. I do have Mother’s Day and my birthday coming up next month and I know the question will be coming and I need an answer so this could be it. 😉😏☺️🤫🥳 

Yes, you can use your existing compressor. You will need an airbrush, hoses and adapters, a filter/regulator, a stand for holding your air when you put it down, and extra jars.

There will be many other things that depend on how you work and what kind of finishes you use. Appropriate solvents and other cleaning supplies, for example.