Yellow Heart

Dave Monk

Received 10 BDF of yellow heart today not cheap but I was happy to find some. It's a full 1" thick and very nice quality. It's a bit redder than what I've had in the past.  With shipping it came to $22 BDF. That stuff sure is heavy. Weighs lbs.  It will probably last me the rest of my life. 

DiamondTropicalHardwoods.com

Yellow Heart.jpg

15 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

No way around it, wood is now expensive and so is shipping.... That is a beautiful stack..  Is it for intarsia?  I think I have one board left that I ordered years ago.  I love working with it.

I use it for intarsia and some of my inlays. I love working with it also. I can get most kinds of woods locally but no one currently has yellow heart. 

Nice buy Dave

I have a couple of pieces. One is 1.5" thick x 7" wide X 36" long and another that is 1" thick X 7' wide and 2' long. I also have a smaller piece with black streaks running through it. Pretty cool looking.

I think that yellowheart is no longer imported according to the guys at Ocooch. It is on the endangered list. I love working with it also. For a wood that is very heavy and dense it cuts and shapes like a breeze for me. I use it mostly for Intarsia. 

Edited by ben2008

I went to get some yellowheart last week and they were out. They had plenty of other exotic wood just no yellowheart. It was listed as $12.12 a bdft. I will keep checking and when they get some and buy a few bdft. I did get some purpleheart, bubinga, ambrosia maple, gummy cherry, walnut and sapele.

Edited by Woodmaster1

1 hour ago, barb.j.enders said:

Changing the topic just a bit, with the price of lumber (plywood & 2x4's) is the price of the hardwood going up as well?  Hubby & I had a discussion about woods and this was his question.  I haven't really done much with hard woods at this point.  Just curious.

The yellow heart is all that I have bought since the lumber price jump but I'm sure it has gone up.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Has there been any explanation as to why the sudden high increase in the price of wood? I know everything is going up but it seems like wood has gone up faster by comparison. I'm going to start dumpster diving again. My wife is not happy.

Depends on who you talk to. Some will say it is covid related. The mills slowed down then when covid hit, then every one was doing DIY around the house and the mills couldn't keep up, supply and demand. Others say it is the tariffs on imported goods. The US got a lot of wood from Canada and with the added tariffs it is not profitable enough. There are a few more things floating around and we all know what they say about rumors. To answer about hard wood. Yes it is up and still climbing. Hopefully things will get better and the prices will come back down.