Bad Bearing In My Excalibur Again ( Update )

Well, after getting caught up on my orders I took a better look at the EX-21 and found the issue to not be a bad bearing or sleeve, but rather a mistake on my part during the rebuild last fall. Turns out there is a difference in the length of the sleeve, not by much but enough that the sleeve wasn't getting pinched together enough to tighten it all down good. I ended up having to use my original sleeve, luckily it wasn't too bad of shape.  That would be one more difference in the China made saw too then.. Kind of baffles me how it ran good like that for as many hours as I run the thing.. 

I didn't run it much after putting it all back together and tuned again.. but what little I did run it, it ran really well again so.. Yay.. 

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Well, after getting caught up on my orders I took a better look at the EX-21 and found the issue to not be a bad bearing or sleeve, but rather a mistake on my part during the rebuild last fall. Turns out there is a difference in the length of the sleeve, not by much but enough that the sleeve wasn't getting pinched together enough to tighten it all down good. I ended up having to use my original sleeve, luckily it wasn't too bad of shape.  That would be one more difference in the China made saw too then.. Kind of baffles me how it ran good like that for as many hours as I run the thing.. 

I didn't run it much after putting it all back together and tuned again.. but what little I did run it, it ran really well again so.. Yay.. 

That's great news Kevin. I'm glad that you can still get some use out of that saw. Even though it's not a "real" Excalibur, it's getting closer. I love both of mine and so far no problems. Once we get back from this extended vacation, I'm going to tear the 16 down and go all through it. I did all the front bearings and sleeves when I first brought it home but I want to get inside of it see what it all looks like.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

That's great news Kevin. I'm glad that you can still get some use out of that saw. Even though it's not a "real" Excalibur, it's getting closer. I love both of mine and so far no problems. Once we get back from this extended vacation, I'm going to tear the 16 down and go all through it. I did all the front bearings and sleeves when I first brought it home but I want to get inside of it see what it all looks like.

From my experience and what I've seen from other members both here and elsewhere.. the main issue inside the back part is usually that larger bearing in that pivot rod.. That said though.. The whole saw has to come apart to get that out and inspect it good, so might as well clean / grease and replace what is needed. I hated to use that old sleeve on my new bearing but.. I figure as it sets the saw really doesn't owe me anything. I got my money out of it before the first tear down and regrease job. I knew then it wasn't going to last long as both bearings and sleeves was bad.. The worst was that big bearing.. sleeve was worn some but the bearing was toasted..

Since I had to pull it completely apart I did inspect the bearings / grease and all looked real good.. Just that darn 1/32" shorter sleeve ( may have been a little more than that much as  I didn't have my glasses on and didn't use any calipers or anything.. Like to have but I was really just wanting to get it back together as my dinner was almost ready, LOL

Eventually I'm going to order a Pegas ( I think ) or a used ( real ) Excalibur or Hegner if a deal pops up. 

I gotta admit that I’d love the weather out there but I can’t deal with the crowded part. Our city that I travel to isn’t but a small town and the older I get the more I do to try to stay away from town. I can’t imagine myself living in a city. On a positive side though. When working on a project and need a part or forget a part, going back to the store would be quick. Now I have at least a 30 min. Drive to get to any parts or hardware store. When I was in my early 20’s I lived in town for 3 months, and that was the only good part about it. I could walk to the auto parts and hardware store faster than driving to town from the country. Lol. Guess being in the country is part of my dna.