Need help with a "pop out" problem...UPDATED

Once in awhile (not often, about once in 30 units) after cutting a puzzle I get what I call a "pop out".

What it is: I'm using Poplar and sometimes there is a very dark grain running inside. It's almost as if there were a fire during the life of the tree and this is a remnant of it. Anyway, it's not exactly a knot, but after I cut a small piece "pops out" of this blackened area.

Sometimes the "pop out" is in the middle, which I can usually fill with filler or with glue and matching dust.

However, sometimes the "pop out" is on the tip of the unit and I don't know how to fill it when that happens

I've tried filler, glue with dust, putting the piece back in it's cut out to brace it before gluing or filling - I have yet to be able to fix one of these when it happens on the edge of a unit

I use these units now as samples and they're marked so I don't sell them, but I would like to be able to fix them.

Any suggestions other than treating them as firewood?

Thanks as always in advance for reading

Edited by new2woodwrk

8 hours ago, FrankEV said:

I'm thinking the only thing to use is an epoxy to fill the void.  It may mean yu have to re-cut the area that you fill.  

I would prefer to stay away from epoxy and re-cutting is not really option - I'm not good enough to duplicate a piece. I've tried and it's way out of my league.

Pics:

You can't really see the pop out but you follow the line to the right that the down arrow is pointing to you'll see the popout on the edge

I'm assuming that line to be the "burn" mark from a fire - but no clue if that is accurate.

popout-1.thumb.jpg.3385679843ec2facd2d781ebd387aeea.jpg

The arrow on the right (pointing left) is where the popout is

popout-2.thumb.jpg.54fd033aa0b33e127bbc8cbbe85440a0.jpg

10 hours ago, MrsN said:

I think it is a wood defect known as shake "a separation of the wood along a growth ring". Something caused the tree to grow funny for a year leaving a discoloration and week spot. 

Can you call it character a keep it? 

Character... Very cool!

I use it as a display but - now that it has "character", it's on the market LOL

Thanks @MrsN

• new2woodwrk changed the title to Need help with a "pop out" problem...UPDATED