Hanger help needed

sst17

I have a customer who has asked me to design a silhouette of a sports car. The car will be designed in 5 pieces so that when it is hung you will see the car as well as the word for the type of car. I have attached the pattern below. They want the car cut from 1" material and they want to hang it approximately 1/2" off the wall. Is there a special hanger system to use that will allow me to have the 1/2" distance available? Everything I have ever done before I use sawtooth hangers or a wire hanging system (for signs an picture frames). I don't have any idea how to make something stick out from the wall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

car.jpg

Make your own French cleat, make it any dimension you want.  

I did this one using a 1/4" scrap with a 1/8" spacer behind it for a thin board (1/4") project and attached it with yellow glue.  I had tried to attach a metal French cleat but was concerned about the nails poking through and damaging the front of the work.  

IMG_0928.JPG