A quick cut. Roman numerals.

RabidAlien

Had to look up some of the higher numbers, I couldn't remember what "L" and "C" represented, and had forgotten all about "D".  LOL  Its been a LONG time since I saw those in school.

M = 1000

D =  500

C = 100

L = 50

X = 10

V =5

I = 1

MDCCLXXVI, essentially, turns into a math problem.  1000+500+100+100+50+10+10+5+1=1776.  The year that the American colonies told England to stuff it.  Then showed them where to stuff it.

This was a quick cut, not a lot of internals, six I believe.  Outside cut was pretty involved, but nothing difficult.  Choice of wood could've been better, I thought the knot and rugged look of pallet slats, since it was a rough year for everybody.  The knot (base of the X's) separated on me and had to be carefully glued back together.  Again, though, rough-n-rugged worked for me.  For the base, I was just going to do an oval, then figured I'd pull in the original 13 colonies and see how that looked.  I'm happy with the outcome.  :)  The 13 give it a good solid base so I'm not worried about the knots.

20210604_225012.jpg

45 minutes ago, RabidAlien said:

Had to look up some of the higher numbers, I couldn't remember what "L" and "C" represented, and had forgotten all about "D".  LOL  Its been a LONG time since I saw those in school.

M = 1000

D =  500

C = 100

L = 50

X = 10

V =5

I = 1

MDCCLXXVI, essentially, turns into a math problem.  1000+500+100+100+50+10+10+5+1=1776.  The year that the American colonies told England to stuff it.  Then showed them where to stuff it.

This was a quick cut, not a lot of internals, six I believe.  Outside cut was pretty involved, but nothing difficult.  Choice of wood could've been better, I thought the knot and rugged look of pallet slats, since it was a rough year for everybody.  The knot (base of the X's) separated on me and had to be carefully glued back together.  Again, though, rough-n-rugged worked for me.  For the base, I was just going to do an oval, then figured I'd pull in the original 13 colonies and see how that looked.  I'm happy with the outcome.  :)  The 13 give it a good solid base so I'm not worried about the knots.

20210604_225012.jpg

a fun idea and a quick refreshment of some of our lost lessons of the past that we don't usually use often enough to remember them. It reminds me of the Native Americans that no longer use or know their native language. I do know that a lot of tribes are teaching their languages to the kids on the reservation schools now, so that it won't disappear for ever. I love what you did with this project. Thanks for posting the project and the previous explanation of the letter/number relationship

Dick

heppnerguy

My math teacher always said double check the work.

So I pasted this into google search...

convert roman MDCCLXXVI to decimal. 

Results match.

The number 1776 · Numbers close to MDCCLXXVI.

You get an A+. With extra credit 1000 points for artisticness, another 776 points for execution. 

Edited by preprius
spelling error