Odd question: using more of the blade?

new2woodwrk

Here's an odd question: Has anyone come up with a method to use more of the blade?

I notice that there is only about 1/3 or so of the total length of the blade that is actually used.

Now I realize blades are one of the least expensive items used in scrolling, but I'm thrifty (meaning cheap LOL)

I was thinking maybe someone came up with a way to use more of the blade.

what comes to mind is a platform placed on top of the table to raise the cutting piece and use more of the top of the blade?

I know that negates the effect of having the bottom teeth pointing up but you never know

Anyway, just wondering - it was on my mind so thought I'd post it.

Thanks as always in advance

Edited by new2woodwrk

You could try the Olson or FD blades "Two way cut Crown Tooth" that cut either way. When it gets dull you flip the blade over 180 degrees and continue cutting. It does work as long as the blade is not to bent up. I use them occasionally. They are not the sharpest, but on the other hand, you are using the whole blade and you have more control. If you are looking for speed, don't bother. If you are looking for accuracy and nice clean cuts,they may work for you. They do take some getting used too. Just my opinion.

Ben

Edited by ben2008

2 hours ago, Denny Knappen said:

I know others talked about this, but I wonder why when blades are less than 25 cents.

Denny

You have to buy a gross to get near that price. Some of us don't want to buy a gross every time we need a few blades to finish a project. I have that problem right now. I literally have hundreds of blades that I will probably never use because i bought too many to begin with. Assortment packs are nice only if you use them.

I always used to flip my blades end for end when I used the FD-UR blades.. They are similar to the two way cut blades with reverse teeth throughout the blade. I have also just flipped regular reverse tooth blades etc.. But sawing on the Hawk I find that once the blade starts getting dull it usually breaks soon. Taking the time to undo the blade and flip it for it to only last a couple more cutouts isn't worth my time to do. SO I just run them until they break, LOL. 

If you flip a blade expect it to cut a few degrees off on the opposite side that it normally cuts on. Takes a bit to get used to and many might ruin a project if they aren't careful. I got pretty good and just cutting with whatever blade and whatever way it's installed. It teaches one to learn to let the blade do the cutting and don't push it, just steer it, LOL

I wouldn't bother for the low cost of the blades, but attaching a 3/4 or 1" thick piece of wood to your saw table, with a hole in it for the blade to pass through, should let you use a higher portion of the blade. It's your decision if going to this trouble is worth doing. If you do, make certain that you don't suddenly decide to cut something thicker (like a stack cut) that exceeds the stroke length that is left to work with or you will likely damage your saw. No thanks, I'll keep using my blades without worrying about the unused teeth of the blades and just keep replacing them when they go dull or break at less than $0.25/blade.

Charley

2 hours ago, ben2008 said:

Denny

You have to buy a gross to get near that price. Some of us don't want to buy a gross every time we need a few blades to finish a project. I have that problem right now. I literally have hundreds of blades that I will probably never use because i bought too many to begin with. Assortment packs are nice only if you use them.

I sell repackaged dozen packs at the gross price ( not on the website).  For example a gross of MGT blades are $35 per pack.  My repackaged dozen pack is $2.92 or just under 25 cents.  No minimum and shipping is $3.50.  If you order $35 or more, shipping is free.  If interested, email me at artcraftersscrollsaw@gmail.com.

1 hour ago, Denny Knappen said:

I sell repackaged dozen packs at the gross price ( not on the website).  For example a gross of MGT blades are $35 per pack.  My repackaged dozen pack is $2.92 or just under 25 cents.  No minimum and shipping is $3.50.  If you order $35 or more, shipping is free.  If interested, email me at artcraftersscrollsaw@gmail.com.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm still using some of the assortment I purchased from you a few months ago. 

Blades are the cheapest part of scrolling, My thoughts are if you c an't afford a .$25 cent blade then you need to find a different hobby. Perhaps I am fortunate enough to be able to afford blades, so I don't even give it a thought about what one costs. I don't mean to offend you but there are costs to all hobbies and some of them are very expensive .Don't worry about the cost, just enjoy what you are doing.

Scrolling is the most inexpensive hobby I've found. Pen turning can be very expensive unless you sell everything you make. Then machining. Many thousands of $. I've gotten rid of everything except my scroll saws. I've thought of perhaps collecting used shoe strings.That would be  inexpensive.

I came across a utube video a few months back (and can't find it now, dang it) of a man who made a template of his scroll saw table out of wood and put it on top of his scroll saw table for just that purpose - to use all of the blade.  I think it's a clever idea, but for me, it complicates things and adds more time to the process for that little bit of extra blade use.  Now, here's a thought - if you really want to make your next million, invent a scroll saw with an adjustable table that not only tilts side to side, but could easily be adjusted to raise and lower to enable you to use the unused portion of the scroll saw blade.  Oh, and if you make that million, I would appreciate an idea fee of 1/2% of that million. 😉

21 hours ago, Joe W. said:

I came across a utube video a few months back (and can't find it now, dang it) of a man who made a template of his scroll saw table out of wood and put it on top of his scroll saw table for just that purpose - to use all of the blade.  I think it's a clever idea, but for me, it complicates things and adds more time to the process for that little bit of extra blade use.  Now, here's a thought - if you really want to make your next million, invent a scroll saw with an adjustable table that not only tilts side to side, but could easily be adjusted to raise and lower to enable you to use the unused portion of the scroll saw blade.  Oh, and if you make that million, I would appreciate an idea fee of 1/2% of that million. 😉

I do this when I am cutting out toys to give away.  I use a skip tooth blade to cut the toys, when it get dull  I have a 1" thick piece of plywood that I put down on my scroll saw table and continue cutting, it almost doubles the life of the blades.

Edited by Davevand

At todays prices for plywood to make a riser table to get more from a blade.. I think maybe throwing out the blade is a cheaper option, 😂.. Then again, I go through half a dozen + blades per day.. Usually order 2-5 gross of each size / style blade I use the most when I order, and I always order when I get to my last gross package so hopefully I don't run out. 

At any rate, It'd take a long time and a lot of blades to pay for the plywood material just so you could save a few penny's on blades.  

Back in the day. 1985, I started with a sears knockoff of a Dremel scrollsaw 13" used 3 inch pinned blades, 3 types available; 7 tpi, 20 tpi, and 25 tpi. Learned lots of tricks with that saw. It had an adjustable height table designed so you could use "all the blade". So I tried, results were never very satisfactory. Even tried starting in a raised position and moving down. Maybe it was just me...

4 hours ago, Wichman said:

Back in the day. 1985, I started with a sears knockoff of a Dremel scrollsaw 13" used 3 inch pinned blades, 3 types available; 7 tpi, 20 tpi, and 25 tpi. Learned lots of tricks with that saw. It had an adjustable height table designed so you could use "all the blade". So I tried, results were never very satisfactory. Even tried starting in a raised position and moving down. Maybe it was just me...

Hi Wichita:
Did your Dremel come with a sander attachment?
I still have mine and blades too - This was my starter saw also, back in the day
It's a little saw that makes big noise...lol
I found that raising the table, the stroke of the blade was not the same and made it slightly different to cut
Fab4

• 1 month later...

I dont sweat the blades too much.  Funny that I can go through one blade for an entire project, next day go through 5 just doing something small. 

Always feel its me when blades are breaking a lot. 

That said, I also use blades until they break.  I have no issues using an old rusty bent blade as long as I can feed it through the wood.  I have been using the same dozen #3 fd blades for about 10 years, srs.  Broke one recently and honestly could not remember the last time I did. 

I only use them for cutting large pieces to size and such though so they dont get a lot of use.  My go to blades are jewelers 2/0 and they are only $20 a gross on amazon so can break alot before I feel it.