Pattern Attachment (When Messaging, posting or Emailing)

FrankEV

This is not really a Q&A subject, but just open for general discussion.

My "cute" reply to Tbow388 in his post "Pattern Attachment" got me thinking about what do you all prefer to get/use when you obtain a pattern electronically? 

JPG, PNG, PDF and SVG are the common options.  The SVV pattern library is JPG or PNG because of the way the site is set up and is really only a photo library. 

I personally do not like to use a photo file to produce a final print out of a pattern since there is no control over what is printed.  

When I use a Photo file I will convert it using Inkscape/Trace Bit Map to convert it to an editable SVG so I can change line weights, line/fill color, eliminate islands, resize, etc.  I prefer to cut patters that are printed in a very thin cut line that is printed in Red with a light grey fill.  I prefer it when the cut/waste area is the grey area but I havn't been able to figure out how to get it that way all the time.

I also like to size the cut pattern to suit what size panel I want to produce it on.  My printer is limited to a maximum 11X17 so most of my framed art is 11" X 14" - 17".

I usually center the pattern and leave about 1" of free area all aroung the image either as a cut border or as a borderles piece.  

After editing in Inkscape I then save it as a PDF for printing purposes and/or in case I want to send/post electronically. 

JFYI, there is a free online service called PDF2JPG that allows you to convert PDF's to JPG's if needed.   

47 minutes ago, FrankEV said:

My "cute" reply to Tbow388 in his post "Pattern Attachment" got me thinking about what do you all prefer to get/use when you obtain a pattern electronically? 

JPG, PNG, PDF and SVG are the common options.  The SVV pattern library is JPG or PNG because of the way the site is set up and is really only a photo library. 

I personally do not like to use a photo file to produce a final print out of a pattern since there is no control over what is printed.  

When I use a Photo file I will convert it using Inkscape/Trace Bit Map to convert it to an editable SVG so I can change line weights, line/fill color, eliminate islands, resize, etc.  I prefer to cut patters that are printed in a very thin cut line that is printed in Red with a light grey fill.  I prefer it when the cut/waste area is the grey area but I havn't been able to figure out how to get it that way all the time.

I also like to size the cut pattern to suit what size panel I want to produce it on.  My printer is limited to a maximum 11X17 so most of my framed art is 11" X 14" - 17".

I usually center the pattern and leave about 1" of free area all aroung the image either as a cut border or as a borderles piece.  

After editing in Inkscape I then save it as a PDF for printing purposes and/or in case I want to send/post electronically. 

JFYI, there is a free online service called PDF2JPG that allows you to convert PDF's to JPG's if needed.   

I don’t do this, because I don’t know how and I don’t understand most of what you said. I pretty much take what I get. If I want it resized I go to Office Depot and use their copy machine (I do understand how to do THAT). 

8 hours ago, FrankEV said:

If I have a need to resize my patterns i can use my old version of Coral Draw which still works quite well, or even use MS Paint. I can also turn my object into a vector graphic using Coral Draw for manipulation. I normally don't bother with either. Takes too long and too much trouble for my liking. I did use it many years ago for my custom  graphics and apparel business.

Edited by ben2008

Doesn't matter to me because very few patterns I use as they are. I'm usually adding or taking something from it so I use it in one of my editing software's anyway and change many of the patterns to make it unique from what the others use it for. Now this wasn't the case a few years ago before I started learning the editing programs.. Getting my CNC and Laser made me learn and still learning since I really haven't run these machines much yet.  

I use Open Office - Draw to print most of my images. It is a free program similar to microsoft publisher, it lets you place and move text boxes, images, shapes and other stuff; the type of program you might use to make a flyer or brochure. I can add my image file and size it to what ever I need. It is a bit cumbersome to do something larger than a page, but I have it worked out so it doesn't take me long when I need to do it.

I like this method because I often want to make a pattern fit a certain piece of wood and the PDF versions don't make that as easy. 

Like you, I understand and know the differences in the different file types and why I might want one over the other.  In general, if I see a pattern I like or want that I can download I download it and store for future use as I am seldom going to cut it right then.  If I have options to choose from, an SVG is an option - I will download the SVG file since it is more easily edited and modified as well as resized without causing issues.  If SVG is not available, I don't worry about it and download what is.  Once I decide I want to use a pattern then I will use the software packages at my disposal to do what I need to get what I want.  Fortunately, I'm pretty tech savvy so I can pretty much do whatever I need.  I use a variety of programs including Inkscape and others I have in my arsenal as I need.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:21 PM, FrankEV said:

There is soooo much that I could reply to this on.

Your reply was in a language that I understand. I have dealt with all of these file types for years in my profession. I was a Graphic Artist for 30 years. I specialized in Photoshop and got my first Photoshop in 1989 as well as my first Mac. (Really pissed my Dad off as he was one of IBM's original programmers)

As for patterns I really don't care what format I get it in. I always convert them to layered TIF files. That has the best image quality and has the greatest editing capabilities. The down size to that is size, Layered TIF files are pretty large. 8.5x11@300dpi = around 25mg's in Black & White. I then store my images on my computer which syncs to Cloud Storage. That way I can access my patterns from my Apple Watch, My Iphone, My Ipad, My MacBook or one of my 2 Imacs pretty much wherever I may be. If I don't want to forget to print a pattern I just send it over the internet to my printer at home and have it waiting for me.

With the layered TIF I sometimes alter them and create a VECTOR path. That way I can make super minute changes if I want.

If I post a pattern that I made I generally just save it as a JPG file. I compress them down so they take up less server space. They also can be opened by more programs than any other file type that I work with. Compatible across all different platforms.

Now as for pattern color and outline. When I print my pattern I put the black at 40% with no outline, I have by trial and error tried many different densities and have found that this works best for me. I don't really like outlines because they hide my blade if they are black.

My printer has a max size of 8.5x11. When I need a pattern larger then that say 11x14, I take my original pattern and drag 2 different pieces to a pattern printing template that I have pre made. Since I have a decent eyes and it is not that critical I do not use crop (printers) marks. I just print, cut with scissors and tape. 

I have made a couple of patterns that I wanted to be exact. I printed sections of the pattern and utilized crop marks. Then lined up the different pieces (over a light table) and essentially stripped them together like a pressman might do to create a plate for offset printing. (Another employment adventure during my lifetime)

Now that I have completely confused more people then I have helped I guess I will finish. All of this technology talk doesn't really mean much. I work in a 10'x10' shop with dirt floors. when it rains there is a mini creek running through it.

So to finish up my way too long reply, Just use whatever patterns you can. Trace them if you need to. Just get the pattern on the wood so you can get it to the saw. Then post a photo of what you cut. I am a visual person and like to see the pictures.

Thanks

Too Complicated Tim

16 hours ago, Tbow388 said:

There is soooo much that I could reply to this on.

Your reply was in a language that I understand. I have dealt with all of these file types for years in my profession. I was a Graphic Artist for 30 years. I specialized in Photoshop and got my first Photoshop in 1989 as well as my first Mac. (Really pissed my Dad off as he was one of IBM's original programmers)

As for patterns I really don't care what format I get it in. I always convert them to layered TIF files. That has the best image quality and has the greatest editing capabilities. The down size to that is size, Layered TIF files are pretty large. 8.5x11@300dpi = around 25mg's in Black & White. I then store my images on my computer which syncs to Cloud Storage. That way I can access my patterns from my Apple Watch, My Iphone, My Ipad, My MacBook or one of my 2 Imacs pretty much wherever I may be. If I don't want to forget to print a pattern I just send it over the internet to my printer at home and have it waiting for me.

With the layered TIF I sometimes alter them and create a VECTOR path. That way I can make super minute changes if I want.

If I post a pattern that I made I generally just save it as a JPG file. I compress them down so they take up less server space. They also can be opened by more programs than any other file type that I work with. Compatible across all different platforms.

Now as for pattern color and outline. When I print my pattern I put the black at 40% with no outline, I have by trial and error tried many different densities and have found that this works best for me. I don't really like outlines because they hide my blade if they are black.

My printer has a max size of 8.5x11. When I need a pattern larger then that say 11x14, I take my original pattern and drag 2 different pieces to a pattern printing template that I have pre made. Since I have a decent eyes and it is not that critical I do not use crop (printers) marks. I just print, cut with scissors and tape. 

I have made a couple of patterns that I wanted to be exact. I printed sections of the pattern and utilized crop marks. Then lined up the different pieces (over a light table) and essentially stripped them together like a pressman might do to create a plate for offset printing. (Another employment adventure during my lifetime)

Now that I have completely confused more people then I have helped I guess I will finish. All of this technology talk doesn't really mean much. I work in a 10'x10' shop with dirt floors. when it rains there is a mini creek running through it.

So to finish up my way too long reply, Just use whatever patterns you can. Trace them if you need to. Just get the pattern on the wood so you can get it to the saw. Then post a photo of what you cut. I am a visual person and like to see the pictures.

Thanks

Too Complicated Tim

Too Complicated Tim,

Thanks for the feed back.

I dislike haveing to use JPG of a pattern, because it can not be manipulated with out converting in Inkscape or similar program.  JPG's are OK if I'm converting a photo into a pattern, but would prefer to receive downloads in PDF or SVG.   

I have never worked with TIF files and do not plan to purchase Adobe Photoshop to do so.   I'll have to live with Inkscape.