A Question for all the Hegner owners!

OCtoolguy

I'm basically a cheap skate. Not sure why but I am. So, here goes. I just bought a used Hegner MultiMax 18 and have finished cleaning it up and adjusting everything that can be adjusted. But, the one thing I can't find a way around is the cracked, rotted bellows. And here is where the "cheapskate" comes in. I can't bring myself to spend $45 plus shipping to buy a new bellows from Advanced Machinery. There has to be a "work around" for this. I'm thinking a shift boot off of some car but I have no idea what car that might be. Anybody been through this? I know that someone did a fix on their saw with a tennis ball but I don't see that working here. It must have been a Hawk that uses a much smaller bellows. Anyway, If anybody has any ideas send them my way. And please, no aquarium pumps. That just adds another cord to the mix. Thanks to all.

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Yeah I was going to say a CV boot.. I think you're going to want one for a ATV / Quad type so that the hole on the small end is going to be small enough to plug the hose into.. Or at least closer to what you need in size anyway.. 

I did find one that has just the right sized holes both top and bottom. I need a small one at top of 1 1/8" and at the bottom 3 3/8". No need for a small hole for the tube. It fits into the base.

Edited by octoolguy

17 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Get rid of the bellows. Why do you want the thing blowing sawdust in your face. Can't understand why Hegner would mount their blower pointed at you. Just rig up dust collection and remove the dust and don't eat it. You were working on dust collection so modify it for the Hegner.

Thanks Les. Will do just that. I get caught up in trying to have everything work as it was designed. Of course you are right. Bellows gone! Dust collection coming soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rash_powder said:

there are silicon collapsible dog bowls that might work.  I just removed mine and mounted a dust extraction system.  

That's what I'm working on now. I have a small Oreck vac the will fit nicely within the confines of the factory stand. I have all tbe piping but need another of the mini cyclones. I will be ordering one soon.

16 hours ago, octoolguy said:

That's what I'm working on now. I have a small Oreck vac the will fit nicely within the confines of the factory stand. I have all tbe piping but need another of the mini cyclones. I will be ordering one soon.

How are the mini cyclones working for you?  I have a dust deputy (I think thats what it is called) attached to a 1/2 gallon jar.  The 3-stage central vac motor I have it hooked up to will suck the dust from the bottom of the jar if I turn the power up too high.  I prob just need a bigger jar, but the small size is nice.  

23 minutes ago, rash_powder said:

How are the mini cyclones working for you?  I have a dust deputy (I think thats what it is called) attached to a 1/2 gallon jar.  The 3-stage central vac motor I have it hooked up to will suck the dust from the bottom of the jar if I turn the power up too high.  I prob just need a bigger jar, but the small size is nice.  

Yes, the Dust Deputy is usually mounted on a 5 gallon pail. In fact it comes with 2 of them and can be doubled if your vac is too powerful. Anyway, to answer your question, the little mini cyclones work great. Les has his mounted to a larger canister that I do but I'm going to use a 3 lb. coffee can on the one for my Ex21. On my Hegner I might try something larger as I'll be using a more powerful vac. 

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Jim Finn said:

I bought small fans meant to be used in an office for individual comfort.  It just blows the dust away on all my three scroll saws, my drill press,  and my, in table, router. Different strokes.

Jim, I know what you meant but I think the correct word would be "circulates" the dust rather than collect it. As you so aptly put it "different strokes".

Edited by octoolguy

On 6/18/2021 at 6:23 PM, octoolguy said:

I'm basically a cheap skate. Not sure why but I am. So, here goes. I just bought a used Hegner MultiMax 18 and have finished cleaning it up and adjusting everything that can be adjusted. But, the one thing I can't find a way around is the cracked, rotted bellows. And here is where the "cheapskate" comes in. I can't bring myself to spend $45 plus shipping to buy a new bellows from Advanced Machinery. There has to be a "work around" for this. I'm thinking a shift boot off of some car but I have no idea what car that might be. Anybody been through this? I know that someone did a fix on their saw with a tennis ball but I don't see that working here. It must have been a Hawk that uses a much smaller bellows. Anyway, If anybody has any ideas send them my way. And please, no aquarium pumps. That just adds another cord to the mix. Thanks to all.

Thats why I didn’t buy one when I went to check out advanced machinery on my visit there.  Parts were insane and even a new bellows is more plastic than rubber.  You could always wait on a bellows.  My old black and decker when I was seven didn't have anything lol For paint Kubota Orange in a can should match depending on the age.  If its older and the hose is mounted on the upper arm then its just gonna blow it all in your face.  Unless you create your own locline assembly. Ps wood carries affordable loc line hoses.  So does bushton.  Just remember some of those older hegners are not engineered for running with some stuff like the comfort knob etc. If you ever do get your bellows just turn the hose upward so it gives you cool air on a hot day lol let me know down the road how you like your hegner. 

1 hour ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

Thats why I didn’t buy one when I went to check out advanced machinery on my visit there.  Parts were insane and even a new bellows is more plastic than rubber.  You could always wait on a bellows.  My old black and decker when I was seven didn't have anything lol For paint Kubota Orange in a can should match depending on the age.  If its older and the hose is mounted on the upper arm then its just gonna blow it all in your face.  Unless you create your own locline assembly. Ps wood carries affordable loc line hoses.  So does bushton.  Just remember some of those older hegners are not engineered for running with some stuff like the comfort knob etc. If you ever do get your bellows just turn the hose upward so it gives you cool air on a hot day lol let me know down the road how you like your hegner. 

Thanks but I 'm going to capture the dust instead of blowing it anywhere. If I was to blow it I'd buy an aquarium pump and some LocLine for sure. I'm building a system for dust capture using an Oreck carry around vac and PVC with LocLine for aiming. So far, I'm liking the saw a lot. The one thing I'm still not sure about is the tall stand. My other 2 saws I built a sit down stand for them. I hate to cut up the factory stand so I might just build another stand like the others. Either way, I like the saw and will probably be selling one of my Ex's. Oh, and I did find that a CV joint boot works great for a bellows and would probably last a lot longer. Rubber rather that plastic.

43 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks but I 'm going to capture the dust instead of blowing it anywhere. If I was to blow it I'd buy an aquarium pump and some LocLine for sure. I'm building a system for dust capture using an Oreck carry around vac and PVC with LocLine for aiming. So far, I'm liking the saw a lot. The one thing I'm still not sure about is the tall stand. My other 2 saws I built a sit down stand for them. I hate to cut up the factory stand so I might just build another stand like the others. Either way, I like the saw and will probably be selling one of my Ex's. Oh, and I did find that a CV joint boot works great for a bellows and would probably last a lot longer. Rubber rather that plastic.

Do you have any purple EX with the Dewalt style tension lever?  Also.  Hegner does make a lower stand.  But it costs more than the tall one.  

• 3 years later...

Scroll Saw 

Dust Control

I use a desk fan on right side of saw. 

Fan blows saw dust across Scroll saw table right to left, also keeps your cut line clear. 

I also have  a 20” box Fan on left side blowing away from saw with 20” filter on intake side to pull and trap dust away from scroller. 

I also use a foot switch that when pressed, sends power to a multiple outlet. 
I have saw and both fans plugged into the outlet.  This allows you to keep both hands on your project and insures that both fans are doing their job. You can also stop saw a lot quicker should you break a blade. 

Make sawdust, but don’t breathe it. 

10 hours ago, Steve H said:

Scroll Saw Dust Control

I use a desk fan on right side of saw. Fan blows saw dust across Scroll saw table right to left, also keeps your cut line clear. I also have  a 20” box Fan on left side blowing away from saw with 20” filter on intake side to pull and trap dust away from scroller. 

I use the same setup. An added bonus is that the desk fan (in my case a small oscillating fan) keeps the dust away from my face to help keep me cool and not breathing it. 

• 5 weeks later...