Seyco Dust Collection System Noise

kmmcrafts

I've had my Seyco DC for almost a year now and it's on my Excalibur which I haven't used a lot. Today was out cutting on it and thought it seemed like the DC is louder than it was. I checked things out. Not much in the filter / bag but was a lining of fine powder dust. I took it outside and used a air hose to clean it out. Put it all back together and quite as new again. If you have this style vacuum setup might want to check that out.. especially if you notice it's getting loud. 

I forgot exactly how much dust the thing actually does pick up too.. The noise was annoying to me at first so I just shut the vac off for a while. There was sawdust all over my lap and the floor.. I only cut one puzzle but looked like I had sawn for days, LOL

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I've had my Seyco DC for almost a year now and it's on my Excalibur which I haven't used a lot. Today was out cutting on it and thought it seemed like the DC is louder than it was. I checked things out. Not much in the filter / bag but was a lining of fine powder dust. I took it outside and used a air hose to clean it out. Put it all back together and quite as new again. If you have this style vacuum setup might want to check that out.. especially if you notice it's getting loud. 

I forgot exactly how much dust the thing actually does pick up too.. The noise was annoying to me at first so I just shut the vac off for a while. There was sawdust all over my lap and the floor.. I only cut one puzzle but looked like I had sawn for days, LOL

You just need to fashion a muffler like I did out an orange juice bottle. LOL. It works great. I do use the factory bag in my vac and then run it through the mini cyclone. So far, no problem.

38 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

You just need to fashion a muffler like I did out an orange juice bottle. LOL. It works great. I do use the factory bag in my vac and then run it through the mini cyclone. So far, no problem.

Mine has the muffler that Seyco designed for it.. Much quieter than the homemade system I build for my other saw from a standard metro vac. Anyway my guess is the paper filter / bag restricts the air and makes the vac work harder thus making it loud. Probably something everyone should keep an eye on as this could cause it to get hot and either burn up the vac or set a fire.. The bag never really "looks" like it has much of anything in it.. but once you take it out and the find dust is just a thin layer all through the sides and back of the bag.. Blow it out " outside " and it has a lot more in it than I realized. I have new ones but trying to get my money's worth out of them so I just blow it out with the air compressor.. Probably didn't make the neighbors too happy, LOL They are a 1/4 mile away but man that cloud of dust, 😂

happens on my shop vac and DC when the filter/bag starts getting a bit pluggered up.

i thought my shop vac was takin a crap a couple weeks ago. it got quite loud and sounded a bit like something was comin apart in the motor. blew it out- still the same.  

then i was using it to clean out my car. rolling it around( as per the instructions- just pull it by the hose. :) ) to the other side of the car and it tipped over. the sound stopped.

i think a little something got down near the stator or rotor.

kevin- wanna have fun- blow out a DC bag. a leaf blower works great for it.

2 lessons from that:

1- best to do on a breezy day.

2 best to do it in an area where the wind isnt blowing towards an open window on the house.

5 hours ago, tomsteve said:

happens on my shop vac and DC when the filter/bag starts getting a bit pluggered up.

i thought my shop vac was takin a crap a couple weeks ago. it got quite loud and sounded a bit like something was comin apart in the motor. blew it out- still the same.  

then i was using it to clean out my car. rolling it around( as per the instructions- just pull it by the hose. :) ) to the other side of the car and it tipped over. the sound stopped.

i think a little something got down near the stator or rotor.

kevin- wanna have fun- blow out a DC bag. a leaf blower works great for it.

2 lessons from that:

1- best to do on a breezy day.

2 best to do it in an area where the wind isnt blowing towards an open window on the house.

#3, don't do it in a populated neighborhood. Like mine. 

On 6/22/2021 at 11:13 AM, poupster2 said:

Ray, would you share a picture of your muffler?

It's really not much to look at but here are a couple of pics of it upside down. The first two just show how I constructed it. Like I said, not pretty. But the 3rd pic shows how it looks in place on the vac. It is aimed toward the rear of the saw and what noise does still emit, goes away from me. It's really very quiet. And I don't think there is enough restriction to harm the vac. I just added a pic showing looking down from above but before I added the muffler. You can see how it shoots toward the rear where the little cyclone is mounted. 

20210226_152249.jpg

20210226_152254.jpg

20210226_160345.jpg

20210224_154939.jpg

Edited by octoolguy