Taking Credit Cards

Travis

I thought you guys might be interested in this since many of you sell your work by word of mouth or at craft fairs. I signed up for Square (www.squareup.com). Basically, when you sign up, they send you a free card reader that plugs into your smartphone (iPhone, Android and for the iPod Touch and iPad). You just link your bank account and you're set. Everything is free. They make their money off transactions. They take 2.75% of each transaction (any credit card service will charge a percentage, BTW. Including Paypal). Each night, they deposit the difference into your bank account. The phone app creates a really nice receipt where you can type in the price, description, and even take a picture of the item. The receipt can be either emailed or texted to the customer's phone.

Its pretty slick. I got mine already. I don't sell stuff, but since it was free, I thought I'd might as well. I rarely carry cash, so its a great way to settle up a bill for dinner, or get paid back for whatever. My friend uses it to buy concert tickets for him and his friends. That way they all get seats together. Then he just swipes their credit card and he's paid back just like that.

A $20 transaction costs 55 cents. Either work that into your product price, or charge a "convenience fee" to your customer. I didn't notice if there are any other fees included. From what I can see, its just the 2.75%.