Shop Fox W1872 16" VS Scroll Saw with Foot Switch, LED, Miter Gauge, Rotary Shaft

ben2008

Does anyone have this saw or something similar in that price range? What's your opinion?

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1872-Scroll-Switch/dp/B07YJ4QCF9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2SY5C5NTUZBAW&dchild=1&keywords=scroll+saws+for+woodworking&qid=1624327395&sprefix=scroll+saws+for+woodworking%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-5

I'm looking to get another inexpensive saw that I can use for children's toys. I have 5 great grand children and one more on the way. I want to keep this one upstairs. I have a small area that I can use. I no longer drive and can't get out to find something on Craigslist. I would have no way of getting it home. I will have to buy something new and have it delivered. Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards are all about 10 minutes from me. They have a nice assortment of scroll saws and they offer free delivery.

Thanks

Ben

1 hour ago, ben2008 said:

Does anyone have this saw or something similar in that price range? What's your opinion?

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1872-Scroll-Switch/dp/B07YJ4QCF9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2SY5C5NTUZBAW&dchild=1&keywords=scroll+saws+for+woodworking&qid=1624327395&sprefix=scroll+saws+for+woodworking%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-5

I'm looking to get another inexpensive saw that I can use for children's toys. I have 5 great grand children and one more on the way. I want to keep this one upstairs. I have a small area that I can use. I no longer drive and can't get out to find something on Craigslist. I would have no way of getting it home. I will have to buy something new and have it delivered. Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards are all about 10 minutes from me. They have a nice assortment of scroll saws and they offer free delivery.

Thanks

Ben

I understand your limitations but I don't think I would buy any of the lower priced saws. But with that said, if I was going to I think I'd look at the Wen. They have some decent entry level tools and if you aren't happy H/D will take it back. The other thing is make sure whatever you buy accepts 5" pinless blades and tool less blade changing.

8 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I understand your limitations but I don't think I would buy any of the lower priced saws. But with that said, if I was going to I think I'd look at the Wen. They have some decent entry level tools and if you aren't happy H/D will take it back. The other thing is make sure whatever you buy accepts 5" pinless blades and tool less blade changing.

Wen now has 2 scroll saw models.  The model #3921 is similar to the Shop Fox model Ben asked about.  The other, model #LL2156 WEN LL2156 21-Inch 1.6-Amp Variable Speed Parallel Arm Scroll Saw with Extra-Large Dual-Bevel Steel Table - - Amazon.com is similar to the DeWalt 788 and is a more capable scroll saw.  I think this is the one you are recommending to Ben.  

Too bad you can't get someone to help you pick up something from craigslist etc. There is a Hawk on your side of the state for $80. I was in southgate MI yesterday.. about 2 hour drive for me..( my daughter works there ) How far from southgate are you? In the price range you're looking at on this saw can land you a very high end saw in the used market.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/d/warren-rbi-scroll-saw-model-inch/7314259056.html

Edited by kmmcrafts

Just a word of caution on buying used saws especially Hawks. I have been communicating with a guy that bought a Hawk G4 26 for an incredibly low price. That saw was so out of whack it was impossible to use.  We now have it sorted .  If you are not a mechanically inclined tinkerer a used saw can be an issue. 

I would also never buy a Hawk that is older than 2005 when the G4 was released.   This is just my opinion based on what I have experienced. 

Edited by Rolf

46 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Too bad you can't get someone to help you pick up something from craigslist etc. There is a Hawk on your side of the state for $80. I was in southgate MI yesterday.. about 2 hour drive for me..( my daughter works there ) How far from southgate are you? In the price range you're looking at on this saw can land you a very high end saw in the used market.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/d/warren-rbi-scroll-saw-model-inch/7314259056.html

kevin

I have a Hawk and EX now. They are in the basement. It's getting harder and harder for me to navigate those darn stairs. I don't want to spend 3 to 5 thousand bucks  for a stair lift either. I am looking for something lightweight that I can sit on a small table. I have a spot picked out in my family room for it. It's about 5' X 7'. I don't want a stand. I plan on just making small toy items with it. I will investigate the WEN a little further. However, I'm pretty sure there are few scrollers on here with a cheaper saw that does the job. We just haven't heard from them yet. 😆 

Thanks for the heads up on the Hawk saw. If I was younger I would be interested. In fact, if I was younger I would replace my 28 year old RBI Hawk with a brand new Hawk. They are still made in America and that goes a long way with me. My 28 year old Hawk still hums away nicely for me. Never a problem since i bought it brand new in 1993.

Ben

Edited by ben2008

2 hours ago, ben2008 said:

kevin

I have a Hawk and EX now. They are in the basement. It's getting harder and harder for me to navigate those darn stairs. I don't want to spend 3 to 5 thousand bucks  for a stair lift either. I am looking for something lightweight that I can sit on a small table. I have a spot picked out in my family room for it. It's about 5' X 7'. I don't want a stand. I plan on just making small toy items with it. I will investigate the WEN a little further. However, I'm pretty sure there are few scrollers on here with a cheaper saw that does the job. We just haven't heard from them yet. 😆 

Thanks for the heads up on the Hawk saw. If I was younger I would be interested. In fact, if I was younger I would replace my 28 year old RBI Hawk with a brand new Hawk. They are still made in America and that goes a long way with me. My 28 year old Hawk still hums away nicely for me. Never a problem since i bought it brand new in 1993.

Ben

Ben, if you get another saw, will you stop going downstairs to your shop? I ask the question for this reason. Why not just bring one of those saws upstairs? I get the feeling that your days downstairs may be ending so having the Ex upstairs would be better than having some lightweight, noisy vibrating saw. 

3 hours ago, ben2008 said:

kevin

Ben

Well in that case I can understand.

I've heard of quite a few satisfied folks that use the porter cable saw. I don't know anything about it or even know if it's still sold. Could be worth looking into that one. I have seen a lot of people use the WEN etc.. But the biggest complaint was the lower blade clamping not easy to get to it etc.. Might be okay for projects that don't require a lot of blade removal though..

21 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Ben, if you get another saw, will you stop going downstairs to your shop? I ask the question for this reason. Why not just bring one of those saws upstairs? I get the feeling that your days downstairs may be ending so having the Ex upstairs would be better than having some lightweight, noisy vibrating saw. 

Yes,, my days of me going downstairs is getting shorter and shorter. I'm in my 80s and simply put. my legs are shot.  As of now I'm still able to go up and down. The hard part is going back up.  Actually what I'm afraid of is falling. My balance is out of wack too. Anyway. I have the Hawk set up for Intarsia and the EX set up for fret work a and small projects. 

That is an option for me to take the EX apart and bring it upstairs. I just may do that. I want to think about what projects  I'm going to try and do in the next few months and if it makes sense.

My problem is I have tons of things I want to do, my mind is still OK, it's just my body is not cooperating. I'm sure there are others on here in the same boat. Ok, enough whining.

Ben

25 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I agree with Ray.. take the EX upstairs.. you don't need a stand for it if you have a table top to work on. My excalibur came with some rubber feet that I never installed.. I'll mail them to you if you want them. They are designed for benchtop use..

I just may do that. I may also take you up on your offer. I want to weigh all my options first.

I'm about 25/30 miles N of Southgate. One of the burbs N of Detroit

On 6/22/2021 at 11:03 AM, ben2008 said:

Yes,, my days of me going downstairs is getting shorter and shorter. I'm in my 80s and simply put. my legs are shot.  As of now I'm still able to go up and down. The hard part is going back up.  Actually what I'm afraid of is falling. My balance is out of wack too. Anyway. I have the Hawk set up for Intarsia and the EX set up for fret work a and small projects. 

That is an option for me to take the EX apart and bring it upstairs. I just may do that. I want to think about what projects  I'm going to try and do in the next few months and if it makes sense.

My problem is I have tons of things I want to do, my mind is still OK, it's just my body is not cooperating. I'm sure there are others on here in the same boat. Ok, enough whining.

Ben

You are in exactly the same situation as me. I'm 82, use a cane as well as a walker in certain situations. Several years ago I had a 8x14 foot shop partitioned out of our garage. I have a stool with casters and a secretarial chair. I just roll around the shop. I go to physical therapy once a week to improve my balance. My wife wants a stair lift for me. I won't be around long enough for it to pay off. My wife does not need it. She just runs up and down.  All we old timers can do is just hang in there. 

2 hours ago, Rockytime said:

You are in exactly the same situation as me. I'm 82, use a cane as well as a walker in certain situations. Several years ago I had a 8x14 foot shop partitioned out of our garage. I have a stool with casters and a secretarial chair. I just roll around the shop. I go to physical therapy once a week to improve my balance. My wife wants a stair lift for me. I won't be around long enough for it to pay off. My wife does not need it. She just runs up and down.  All we old timers can do is just hang in there. 

Les

Yep, I'll be 82 next birthday. I also have a roll around chair. My problem is my shop is still in the basement. Once I get down there I'm fine most of the time. There are a few power tools i have to stand for, table saw is one of them. That's getting very tough to do now. I feel the same way about the stair lift. We still have 2 vehicles so I can't make a shop in my garage right now and probably wont. I'm going to sell my pickup truck this year since i no longer drive. That would free up 1/2 of the garage. I really don't have the energy to build a shop in my garage. Those days are over. Like you, I'll just continue to plug along and do what I can...until I can't.

Ben

Edited by ben2008

2 hours ago, ben2008 said:

Les

Yep, I'll be 82 next birthday. I also have a roll around chair. My problem is my shop is still in the basement. Once I get down there I'm fine most of the time. There are a few power tools i have to stand for, table saw is one of them. That's getting very tough to do now. I feel the same way about the stair lift. We still have 2 vehicles so I can't make a shop in my garage right now and probably wont. I'm going to sell my pickup truck this year since i no longer drive. That would free up 1/2 of the garage. I really don't have the energy to build a shop in my garage. Those days are over. Like you, I'll just continue to plug along and do what I can...until I can't.

Ben

Geez guys, I'm 78. Sounds like there's not much to look forward to. Maybe I better sell everything while I can still move it. Lol! 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:49 PM, octoolguy said:

Geez guys, I'm 78. Sounds like there's not much to look forward to. Maybe I better sell everything while I can still move it. Lol! 

Geez, you can still move it ??? Great, I will be 77 before the year ends and dread the thought of moving those heavy floor models. Jointer. TS.  Sooo I will just wait till they move me.

4 hours ago, carl1 said:

Geez, you can still move it ??? Great, I will be 77 before the year ends and dread the thought of moving those heavy floor models. Jointer. TS.  Sooo I will just wait till they move me.

The biggest, heaviest tool I still have is my bandsaw. I'm going to move it one more time to just outside my shop and about 6 inches lower to the ground. My shop is on 4x4's. I'm going to build a cupboard outside the shop to store my portable table saw, bandsaw, and portable miter saw in so that they will be down on the pavement and not have to work around them. I'm shopping right now for the best deal I can find on a vinyl fence to close in my driveway. Once that's done, I'm going to build an outfeed table/work table to do my building on. I have all these big dreams but time is closing in on me. Oh well, the next owner will have a nice shop. I hope they appreciate it.

On 6/22/2021 at 12:30 PM, kmmcrafts said:

Well in that case I can understand.

I've heard of quite a few satisfied folks that use the porter cable saw. I don't know anything about it or even know if it's still sold. Could be worth looking into that one. I have seen a lot of people use the WEN etc.. But the biggest complaint was the lower blade clamping not easy to get to it etc.. Might be okay for projects that don't require a lot of blade removal though..

I used the porter cable for 3 years. Gave to a friend that's still using it