need help.

Clayton717

I have been asked to give a scroll saw demo at our county fair. This is for the N.W Ohio woodworkers guild. I am a member and they asked me to do a demo at the booth during the fair. The demo is only a hour long but need a small project to do as well as explaining about scrolling and the saw.

I have a couple ideas, just not sure. I would like to have some of what ever I'm doing done so people can take one. My idea was a cutting of a "round 2 it". I always here people saying "when I get around to it". I would make it small about the size of a silver dollar? Any other idea.

I am also give a couple turning demo's, but that is with a partner and he has most of that covered(as far as what we are doing).

Maybe practice cutting out little reindeer or animals to give to the kids as you do demo's? Lot's of little things to cut, as involved cuttings take your mind off of the demo and more on doing a good job on the cutting. How about making up a few picture puzzles and freecutting them as you talk? Keep it simple and you will have more fun doing it.

Jim B

I'm wondering if you could do a little pin cutout. Maybe a silhouette of something like a chicken (at least our fairs have a large agriculture base). The pins you can buy pretty cheap and they already have an adhesive on the back. Cut them out, a quick brush with some sand paper, stick on the pins and whalla.

Magnets are super easy, cut out the shape of Ohio, stick on a magnet. Or just drill a hole in a silhouette and string some cord through it for a key ring or necklace.

I'd have several silhouettes on hand to keep things interesting. Stack cut everything just to keep up with the demand.

When I would help demonstrate at the Sydney wood show, we used to cut simple three piece animal puzzles to give away to the kids. The outside cut would be done before the show, we would just cut the pieces during the demo. Its not the best example of showing what the scroll saw can do, but we would have examples on a stand for people to see what else could be done on the saw.