Help posting pics

red river

I would like to post pictures of some of my projects. Most of my patterns come from the folks on SSV and from Steve Good. Thanks to all..... It appears there a variety of different places to post pics. How do you decide where to post the pics? Are there any instructional videos to watch? Do you include the pattern makers name,blade selection, and wood choice with pics. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.......

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do but the simple answer is to show off your work in the "Bragging Rights" forum. And it's always nice to include as much info as you can so we all know what is what. I recently learned that my phone takes pics in very high resolution. I now run them through a resizer to get the pics down to a reasonable size. Also, welcome to the Village. Be sure to go to the Introduction forum and tell us about yourself and where you live. We all love pictures and if you ask a question, sometimes it makes a difference in our answer if we know what your general location is.

Bragging Rights is the most poular forum to show work that you are proud of and want people to see and comment on.

It is a simple task to start a new topic, add a title, write some info about the work, drag a JPG file(s)of the work into the post where it says "Drag files Here", and submit the post.

Now, what you write can be simple of detailed.  Yes, a lot of us like to know things like the "why, what, where, when and who" details or the things like "wood, blades used, finish, who made for, etc.".

The camera images of the work you post should be well done, framed square so the image is not distorted, taken close up to fill the frame and/or cropped.  The photo should be taken in front of an uncluttered, clean, plain backdrop.   

These rules are not gospel but just common sense.

Hope this helps.

Edit: you can also creat a album of you pics in "Users Gallery"

Edited by FrankEV

Ray and Frank I think answered your questions for the most part. I wanted to add that it is proper to add the name of the pattern designer so people know who created it. Often, folks want to know who the pattern was made by because they are interested in perhaps locating it for themselves. By giving the name of the pattern designer, it gives them a starting point to look for it. However, if you can provide a direct link to the actual pattern, it makes it easier. Plus, it allows the pattern designer to be able to sell more patterns. Without the pattern designers, most of us would not be able to do the projects we do. So providing a link helps each other out and the pattern designers. Even if the pattern is provided for free, it’s helpful to know who designed it and where to find it.

Edited by meflick
Typos (but I may have missed some. 😉)

57 minutes ago, FrankEV said:

Bragging Rights is the most poular forum to show work that you are proud of and want people to see and comment on.

It is a simple task to start a new topic, add a title, write some info about the work, drag a JPG file(s)of the work into the post where it says "Drag files Here", and submit the post.

Now, what you write can be simple of detailed.  Yes, a lot of us like to know things like the "why, what, where, when and who" details or the things like "wood, blades used, finish, who made for, etc.".

The camera images of the work you post should be well done, framed square so the image is not distorted, taken close up to fill the frame and/or cropped.  The photo should be taken in front of an uncluttered, clean, plain backdrop.   

These rules are not gospel but just common sense.

Hope this helps.

Edit: you can also creat a album of you pics in "Users Gallery"

Sorry Frank, not happening that way in my shop. I just shoot a pic or two when I'm at a stage that I want to save. The bench is ALWAYS cluttered and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Sorry Frank, not happening that way in my shop. I just shoot a pic or two when I'm at a stage that I want to save. The bench is ALWAYS cluttered and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Yeah, same here.

I take a pic and try to get it clean, but if not no biggie - just post it

Don't worry too much about how you present your pictures. Most important is that you show us. Sometimes I'm able to frame and post without background but just as often I don't. In fact, I love seeing messy and cluttered workshops. It's kinda what makes this place interesting. We don't all have large, pristine and world class workshops. Sometimes I work in a hovel.

24 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Don't worry too much about how you present your pictures. Most important is that you show us. Sometimes I'm able to frame and post without background but just as often I don't. In fact, I love seeing messy and cluttered workshops. It's kinda what makes this place interesting. We don't all have large, pristine and world class workshops. Sometimes I work in a hovel.

Me too. Lets start a "me too" movement.