Any Thoughts On This Saw From Those That Know Hegners More Than Me,

kmmcrafts

I'm not sure what a good deal is on a Hegner in most places.. I've only ever seen these in my area for $350+ and the ones with the up front tension release seem to always be $500 - 800+ so to me this might seem like a deal, I might see if I can look at it but thought I'd get some opinions from the Hegner experts on here first.

I told my wife I need another saw because business is so busy that I can hardly keep up with only the 4 saws I have now. Not sure if she realize I can only run one at a time but it sounded good to her so I thought I'd look at this.😂 

DUH: I guess I could have showed the link, LOL

https://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/d/williamston-hegner-multimax-18-scroll/7340836016.html

$200 in blade is great but so far in my dealings with saws that come with blades is they are blades I'd never use.. like maybe a #50 ( do they make a #50 LOL.. Huge blades anyway.. I'm going to offer $200 for the saw and they can sell the blades to someone that can use them.😂

Edited by kmmcrafts

I think I have seen a #50 blade.  It only has two teeth (not per inch, but for the whole blade).  It is really noisy when you are cutting. :lol:😁

The Hegner I have has some issues that I never could resolve.  The only blades I could use without breaking were #3 and larger and then only Pegas blades.  Anything smaller than a #3 would break in 5 minutes or less.  I am sure it was just my saw - or me, but be sure to try out your smallest blades and run them for a while if you go look at it.  Also, notice the table size - it may not matter, or you will hate it.

I would no hesitate for a moment to jump on the deal. It looks like 1992 in the photo. Same as a new one. They have changed very little if any. My go to blade is 2/0 or 3/0. I cut mostly 1/8 or 1/4 inch material. My blades never break unless I carelessly bend the blade or it finally fatigues and breaks where the teeth have been cutting. If I were younger I would purchase the 18 inch or the polymax. Worth every penny! $400 is a bargain unless the saw has been damaged in some way. 

5 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I'm not sure what a good deal is on a Hegner in most places.. I've only ever seen these in my area for $350+ and the ones with the up front tension release seem to always be $500 - 800+ so to me this might seem like a deal, I might see if I can look at it but thought I'd get some opinions from the Hegner experts on here first.

I told my wife I need another saw because business is so busy that I can hardly keep up with only the 4 saws I have now. Not sure if she realize I can only run one at a time but it sounded good to her so I thought I'd look at this.😂 

DUH: I guess I could have showed the link, LOL

https://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/d/williamston-hegner-multimax-18-scroll/7340836016.html

$200 in blade is great but so far in my dealings with saws that come with blades is they are blades I'd never use.. like maybe a #50 ( do they make a #50 LOL.. Huge blades anyway.. I'm going to offer $200 for the saw and they can sell the blades to someone that can use them.😂

That's an asking price. I just bought mine for $230 but I had to put another $135 in it because the rear tension rod was broken and the knob missing. Also, the Quick clamp was never there and only one lower blade clamp. Now I have a very good saw. The blades are not a big deal but the saw is. The stand looks beat up but they usually are. I'd offer $300 and see where it goes but even $400 will buy you a "forever" saw. Not much to wear out. The bellows will probably be hard and cracked but that's not a big deal. I tossed mine and will be adding dust control so I won't miss it. Make sure the variable speed control works like it should. The saw has a soft start and it should not hunt for the set speed. My first Hegner had a problem with that so I sold it. Buy it!

Edited by octoolguy

If you go to see this saw, be sure to look in that box of blades for the blade clamps that should have come with it. From the pictures it appears that the only thing that saw doesn't have that the new ones do have is the replaceable zero clearance plate. Not a big deal. There is virtually nothing to add to that saw except dust management. Try to get a better price but buy it even at $400. Ask about a light & foot switch too. Good luck!

If you guys go to the link and click for his contact info do you get a error message? If you come up with a number to text can you PM the number to me? I have a feeling my son's homemade internet security system isn't allowing me to see the number. He did 3 years on cyber security schooling at the local career center as part of his high school elective class programs and he  entered competitions across the world.. came in like 40th place of 1000's of people including folks that do it for a living.. now he's a pro at it in his mind and constantly changing my settings and also hacking my computer for playing jokes on me etc.. he has our internet so secure I can't even see advertisements that I want to see, LOL as in the shopping cart.. you know when you shop and some sites bring a pop-up of your shopping cart so you can checkout.. yeah.. I can't checkout unless I have his permission. 😂 I'm just thankful he hasn't hacked something big and have the Feds knocking on my door.. My friends grandson did that to them, 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely go for it.  

If you do score it, bolt that stand to the floor if at all possible.  Mine had some weird probs caused by my stand flexing and being too light.  My situation doesn't allow it to be bolted to the floor so I made a butcher block table top and a 2x4 cabinet to mount it on in order to create a non-flexing heavy stand.  It absolutely is all of that.