Cleaning band saw blades.

Dave Monk

I have only had a band saw for about a year so I don't  know much about them.  My resaw blade was totally gummed up so I got on line last night to try to find a solution.  Of coarse I found a lot of different opinions. Today I went to my local Ace Hardware store to find some Goof Off or something like that to soak it in.  They did not have Goof Off in gallons. I asked a guy that worked there what the strongest industrial cleaner they had was. He asked me what I needed it for and I told him to clean my band saw blade. He told me that he would soak it in Coke.  To my surprise it worked awesome. 

Haven't tried coke, but I've heard about it. I use Simple Green on all my cleanable blades - table saw, band saw, skilsaw, and hand saws. soak them in simple green for 20-30 minutes. Then, brush them good with a hard bristle brush (I use a fingernail/hand brush). Rinse then in really hot water - dry them, and rub them with some WD40 or other good oil.

I've had contractors bring gummed up blades into the store to make sure they get the same new blade. I check the teeth on their blade and send them down to cleaning supplies for some Simple Green. On table saw and 12" miter saw blades, they're saving some dollars by just cleaning their blades.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:49 AM, Norm Fengstad said:

Wow coke is good for something. I used to love it specially mixed with whiskey but that is history . I use paint thinner or mineral spirits for cleaning maybe mineral spirits would have been good in the whiskey glass back then 

Here where I live, we have to use turpentine and whiskey. Not good.

I use the same process that I use to clean router bits or any table saw blade or dado set.  Here are links to two products I've used, I kinda think the CMT is a bit better. The brand I like best, I can no longer find anywhere. (that figures) I fold the blade, like when its new, and then put it in a shallow tray/bowel that holds the blade. I spray or mix the solution, let it soak for 15-20 minutes or so. Use a brush to get off the resin build up. Rinse and blow dry. The used cleaner solvent down the sink. In my experience the blades work better when clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Trend-CLEAN-500-Cleaner-Clear/dp/B003OC35MQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=C9L2J1EMIPXJ&dchild=1&keywords=saw+blade+cleaner+spray&qid=1627573901&sprefix=saw+blade+cleaner%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-2

https://www.rockler.com/router-bit-and-saw-blade-cleaning-kit