Inkscape and HP Envy 4500 printer idiosyncracies

Joe W.

Thought I'd share a "Duh - dope slap" moment with you in hopes it helps someone not have the same experience. . . 

So there I was . . . printing off a Steve Good pattern using Inkscape to make the cutting lines red.

The pattern:  "Baseball Teams" consists of 4 pieces - a base with slots and three other pieces with tabs to fit into the base plate.

I discovered that if I turned the Printer's "Borderless" setting to "on" the pattern on the printed page is stretched 1/4".

I learned this after cutting out one of the pieces with tabs and found the tabs would not line up with the corresponding base slots. 
It baffled me for a time until I realized the page of the base plate was printed using the printers "Borderless" setting set to off - and the other pieces were printed on a different page with the Borderless setting set to "on".

It had me going for awhile, but after some experimenting I got the "Aha" (translation: You dummy!).

3 hours ago, Fab4 said:

Hi Joe:
We should have a separate forum called  "That "AHA" moment
We could all learn a few things from Villagers being a bunch of "AHA's"🤣
It's always funny when it happens to someone else
Thanks for sharing your AHA moment with us
Fab4

I would second that we should have an area were we put those AHA moments.

Just after I read this I was altering Steve Good's Post from today.  Instead of "If Gramma is missing" I wanted to put If Tony is missing.  (A good friend)

I opened Steve's Pattern and drew circle and put text on circle.  It was backwards.  I did everything I could think of and then AHA.  Took pattern and copied to a new document.  Then worked like a charm.  I have had this occur before.  I think between Corel Draw and Inkscape something happens with the PDF.  

I had this before and forgot this should be done.  Now I will remember.

I will post when I have cut.

3 hours ago, rjweb said:

Joe W,

can you explain how you take a steve good pattern and put in inkscape, and then change to red lines, I don’t know how to even get the pattern into inkscape, sorry not real good with these programs, thx RJ 

Here is a quick PDF that explains the process.  Steve explains the process he uses to get the pattern into Inscape.  Either Import or Open will work.https://youtu.be/hh4JwEjCL8Y

if you have specific questions please PM.

red line in inkscape.pdf

Edited by don in brooklin on