New Seyco

WolfmoonCT

The new saw is here.. I have it assembled and the blade square to the table.  I find that what leg setting I put it at, it's lower than the Dewalt.. I need to drop the legs to the highest setting..  The thing I really don't like the idea of doing is drilling holes in that nice new stand to put a board so I can mount my pedal to it..  But I guess it's gotta get done.  Once done, I can actually start it and see how it cuts.

I thought it was great when I  opened the box and saw that someone wrote a quick note to me thanking me for the purchase, and letting me know the legs are on the bottom of the box under the styrofoam holding the body of the saw.

Edited by WolfmoonCT

10 minutes ago, WolfmoonCT said:

I got it assembled good..  I did find out when I raised the legs all the way up, the bottom 3 holes are still open.. I think I'll be able to put a board across them, put a layer of ply down, and mount the foot pedal to that.. I'll have to see how I like it..

Once you get it figured out, I'd like to see what you come up with. I don't have any factory stands for my Excaliburs and just lay the foot switch on the floor. But the Hegner is on the tall stand and so far, I've just sat on a tall stool and have the switch on the floor also. I'm looking for a way to affix the switch to the saw stand.

Congrats on the new saw.. Those 4 legged stands are kind of a nuisance in my opinion.. LOL It seems Delta, DeWalt, and Hegner have the three legged stand figured out.. But then.. everyone has their own preference and comfort level.. 

I use the foot switch on the floor for my at first. I've always been used to setting tall at all my saws as the DW stand is kinda tall.. On the DW I mounted the foot switch to the bottom brace of the stand which worked well.. Then the Hawk saw had know place to put a switch so I had some 6 x 6 post cutoffs from my pole barn which worked about to be the perfect height so each Hawk has it's own 6 x 6 block with a cable staple holding the cord out of the way. The EX I set the stand as high as it would go and also use the 6x6 blocks, LOL

14 minutes ago, trackman said:

I have my foot switch mounted on a plastic step that is made to fold up.  If I need to move it I can.  Kind of hard to see it is white  

6076304B-3CC2-4804-9FCB-E703995DE39F.jpeg

Do you sit directly behind your saw or to the right side? I find that I can't sit directly behind my saws. I'm left eye dominant and find that I need to sit so that my left eye is in line with the saw blade. I have two of the foot switches from Harbor Freight but just bought one of the Wen switches on Amazon for $14 dollars. It's just like the ones that come from Hegner. Very low profile.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-WA0392-15-Amp-Momentary-Woodworking/dp/B08BZX4XGY/ref=asc_df_B08BZX4XGY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459657803259&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9991099292097484126&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031544&hvtargid=pla-960380522309&psc=1

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Do you sit directly behind your saw or to the right side? I find that I can't sit directly behind my saws. I'm left eye dominant and find that I need to sit so that my left eye is in line with the saw blade. I have two of the foot switches from Harbor Freight but just bought one of the Wen switches on Amazon for $14 dollars. It's just like the ones that come from Hegner. Very low profile.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-WA0392-15-Amp-Momentary-Woodworking/dp/B08BZX4XGY/ref=asc_df_B08BZX4XGY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459657803259&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9991099292097484126&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031544&hvtargid=pla-960380522309&psc=1

I also am left handed and have to sit to the right of center or it becomes more difficult to follow a line.

Saw assembled..  I was able to put a 2x6 across the bottom legs using the empty holes for the height adjustment..  I figured out the legs are set at 10 degree angle. so I cut the ends at 10 degrees, and angled the top of the 2x6 at 10 degrees so the plywood sits nice and flat..  Anyone think that putting it on one of the Bora mobile bases may cause a bunch of vibration?

20210719_170129.jpg

20210719_170205.jpg

Edited by WolfmoonCT

2 hours ago, WolfmoonCT said:

Saw assembled..  I was able to put a 2x6 across the bottom legs using the empty holes for the height adjustment..  I figured out the legs are set at 10 degree angle. so I cut the ends at 10 degrees, and angled the top of the 2x6 at 10 degrees so the plywood sits nice and flat..  Anyone think that putting it on one of the Bora mobile bases may cause a bunch of vibration?

20210719_170129.jpg

20210719_170205.jpg

That rolling base looks good. Nice to be able to move things around!

What you might try is if you mount it on a mobile base, roll it onto a piece anti-fatique mat. It'll settle into the mat and should resolve any vibration. That's how my saws are all sitting but without that type of mobile base. I only have wheels on one end, the back end, and they are 7 inch wheels. I have i corporated PVC on both sides as my "wheel barrow" lifts to move my saws around. They are both on homemade stands of 2x4's. 

So far here are my thoughts on it.

1. Blade tension on the #2/0 blades out of the box works great. Cutting another of those I'm not Arguing signs, it's cut perfect with no blade break of slip.
  2. The 90 degree angle on the dust blower.. I don't like it. I don't like how it wants you to put it in front of the blade.. then you can't see the blade.  I prefer to blow sideways, so I'll probably remove it at some point. The little connectors that make up the hose are VERY stiff and difficult to adjust.
  3. The magnetic bullseye mat for it.. Don't like it. It sits nice, but when using it, the wood doesn't spin as nice as bare metal.  I won't be using it.
  4. The stand is nice
  5. There is very little vibration at 3/4 speed and it's soooo much quieter than my DW was. (I have not tried cutting higher speed yet, and probably never will, not for what I usually cut)
  6. Bare metal top.. still doesn't feel as slick as my DW top. I did spray it down with some Bostick Glide Coat. It looks like the top has a protective finish on it, but I put it on anyways.

Overall, I enjoy the saw.  Not sure how much I will tilt it, cause I don't usually cut much bowls, but I have done the Sheila Landry self framing plaques, and for that I will have to tilt it.  Watching the Steve Good review on the saw, his saw (though a prototype tester) came with 2 stops so that when you tilt it, you can set it back to 0 without using the engineering square, and you can set a stop for any degree you want to.. so like 20 degrees if you do a lot of bowls.   Here is my pedal attachment.

20210719_170129.jpg

52 minutes ago, WolfmoonCT said:

So far here are my thoughts on it.

1. Blade tension on the #2/0 blades out of the box works great. Cutting another of those I'm not Arguing signs, it's cut perfect with no blade break of slip.
  2. The 90 degree angle on the dust blower.. I don't like it. I don't like how it wants you to put it in front of the blade.. then you can't see the blade.  I prefer to blow sideways, so I'll probably remove it at some point. The little connectors that make up the hose are VERY stiff and difficult to adjust.
  3. The magnetic bullseye mat for it.. Don't like it. It sits nice, but when using it, the wood doesn't spin as nice as bare metal.  I won't be using it.
  4. The stand is nice
  5. There is very little vibration at 3/4 speed and it's soooo much quieter than my DW was. (I have not tried cutting higher speed yet, and probably never will, not for what I usually cut)
  6. Bare metal top.. still doesn't feel as slick as my DW top. I did spray it down with some Bostick Glide Coat. It looks like the top has a protective finish on it, but I put it on anyways.

Overall, I enjoy the saw.  Not sure how much I will tilt it, cause I don't usually cut much bowls, but I have done the Sheila Landry self framing plaques, and for that I will have to tilt it.  Watching the Steve Good review on the saw, his saw (though a prototype tester) came with 2 stops so that when you tilt it, you can set it back to 0 without using the engineering square, and you can set a stop for any degree you want to.. so like 20 degrees if you do a lot of bowls.   Here is my pedal attachment.

20210719_170129.jpg

So you use your "clutch" foot instead of your "gas & brake" foot huh?. I use my right foot even though I'm left "footed".