Christmas in July!

Rockytime

10 hours ago, Rockytime said:

At least it's not a lump of coal. Tired of messing with cleaning clogged nozzles on the 3M 77 spray cans. Someone recently advised that these were available so I ordered them. I just placed an order for the larger caps for paint cans with a female tip.

Provide a link Les?

Edited by ben2008

I don't know where Les got those.. they're all the same and some cans have different style nozzles.. I just googled "spray can nozzles.. and came up with this mix of styles.. There are others that are just of one style etc. on etsy too. I'm sure doing the same search on Amazon or Ebay will result in many options as well.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/679310878/lot-of-spray-paint-can-caps-mixed-male?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=spray+can+nozzles&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

I don't know how to post a link. Kevin has done so. There are 2 kinds off cans that are universal. Male and female. Spray cans like 3M 77 are female. The hole at the top go inward. Paint spray cans like Krylon are male. The spout protrudes. So it is easy to determine which you need. Mine came from Amazon. 20 for $14 something plus shipping. Just under $20. Did not qualify for prime. Kevin shows some cheaper on ebay but I was too lazy to do much searching. Either way it's worth it. 

2 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I don't know how to post a link. Kevin has done so. There are 2 kinds off cans that are universal. Male and female. Spray cans like 3M 77 are female. The hole at the top go inward. Paint spray cans like Krylon are male. The spout protrudes. So it is easy to determine which you need. Mine came from Amazon. 20 for $14 something plus shipping. Just under $20. Did not qualify for prime. Kevin shows some cheaper on ebay but I was too lazy to do much searching. Either way it's worth it. 

You should get one of your kids or grand kids to show you how to copy and paste. It's really not that hard Les. I'm 81 and I learned how.

2 hours ago, ben2008 said:

You should get one of your kids or grand kids to show you how to copy and paste. It's really not that hard Les. I'm 81 and I learned how.

Yeah, but I'm 82. Maybe that is the reason. Actually Ray (Octoolguy) explained it to me well but I forget. Good thing Kevin came through. 

2 hours ago, flarud said:

My 3M nozzles have never clogged up,, but my spray paint cans have. 

I'm not sure why my 3M clogs so often. After spraying I immediately turn the can upside-down and spray to clear the nozzle. I just opened a new can of 3M 77. I never had the problem with previous cans so I have no explanation.   

Edited by Rockytime
Typo

2 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I'm not sure why my 3M clogs so often. After spraying I immediately turn the can upside-down and spray to clear the nozzle. I just opened a new can of 3M 77. I never had the problem with previous cans so I have no explanation.   

For the most part, the nozzle doesn’t clog up. The adhesive builds up at the nozzle opening. I simply wipe off the nozzle with my thumb after every use. I used to soak them in mineral spirits but I don’t need to anymore now that I routinely wipe it off.

After each use, I remove the nozzle and drop it into mineral spirits. I keep several in the jar, and if I have an issue, I swap nozzles. I use 3M 77, but this should work with anything as long as you choose the appropriate solvent.

I've never had a nozzle on the 3M 77 clog, but it does tend to build up on the nozzle and affect the spray pattern.

2021-07-31 07.56.15.jpg

Out of curiosity, I did a bit of research on spray paint caps. I found an entire world out there I knew nothing about. There are many different types of caps you can get. All of them do not work on all spray cans.

https://shop.bombingscience.com/spray-paint-caps

Art Primo Caps 101: An introduction to Spray Paint Nozzles

https://artprimo.com/catalog/art_primo_caps-101

From my reading I think what you need for 3M 77 is the NY Fat cap.

Edited by BadBob

16 hours ago, BadBob said:

Out of curiosity, I did a bit of research on spray paint caps. I found an entire world out there I knew nothing about. There are many different types of caps you can get. All of them do not work on all spray cans.

https://shop.bombingscience.com/spray-paint-caps

Art Primo Caps 101: An introduction to Spray Paint Nozzles

https://artprimo.com/catalog/art_primo_caps-101

From my reading I think what you need for 3M 77 is the NY Fat cap.

Great explanation!  Thanks