Hegner Advanced Machinery visit

Hi guys!   I am moving from Virginia to Maine.  Advanced Machinery is just right off the highway on my way.  Depending on the weather, timing and traffic I wanna go visit and test some toys and their accessories example.  The poly cut three with my foredome dust extractor.  I will have my two service dogs with me in a uhaul and therefore The conditions have to be right.  My animals cannot suffer.  If I am able to visit what videos pictures etc would everyone like to see?   If they let me.  Any specifics? 

12 minutes ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

He’s around.  I didn’t get a picture.  I asked.  But look how little this 14” is 

E298FB42-B803-49F0-AB54-AC2506A63115.jpeg

I had the chance to get one of these 14" saws at a estate sale for $60 on a stand about 4 years ago.. I kick myself for passing that deal up.. But at the time I wasn't impressed with such a small saw.. also that the tension lever is at the back of the saw.. Not that you can't reach it on such a small saw.. but every saw I've owned has had all controls at the front of the saw.. Just didn't think I could get used to that and I would have spend $80 on a large paper weight, LOL

14 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I had the chance to get one of these 14" saws at a estate sale for $60 on a stand about 4 years ago.. I kick myself for passing that deal up.. But at the time I wasn't impressed with such a small saw.. also that the tension lever is at the back of the saw.. Not that you can't reach it on such a small saw.. but every saw I've owned has had all controls at the front of the saw.. Just didn't think I could get used to that and I would have spend $80 on a large paper weight, LOL

It’s adorable

2 hours ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

He’s around.  I didn’t get a picture.  I asked.  But look how little this 14” is 

E298FB42-B803-49F0-AB54-AC2506A63115.jpeg

That's the one that the demo guy used to take to all the woodworking shows. It's the first one that I ever saw demo'd. I fell in love with it even then. But, the next show I went to in Colorado Springs, the Hawk was being demo'd there with it's 20 inch capacity so I bought one. Sadly, it never got used and I sold it to my neighbor.

1 minute ago, octoolguy said:

That's the one that the demo guy used to take to all the woodworking shows. It's the first one that I ever saw demo'd. I fell in love with it even then. But, the next show I went to in Colorado Springs, the Hawk was being demo'd there with it's 20 inch capacity so I bought one. Sadly, it never got used and I sold it to my neighbor.

As long as the hawks keep being quality and parts are available it will always have a spot in my shop.  The hegners didn’t run very good today.  I didn’t buy any.  

3 hours ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

As long as the hawks keep being quality and parts are available it will always have a spot in my shop.  The hegners didn’t run very good today.  I didn’t buy any.  

Well the Hawk that I bought was a 2 speed belt system and everything on it was very primitive. The blade mounting system was all allen wrenches and not fun at all. I don't really know why I bought it but it was just something that piqued my interest at the time. The Hawks have come a very long ways since I bought that one. I recently bought a very nice 226 Ultra that was like new but it had too big of a footprint for my small shop so it had to go. For the short time I had it, I was impressed with how smooth it worked and if I ever have a larger shop (LOL) I'd certainly have another one. 

Edited by octoolguy

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Well the Hawk that I bought as a 2 speed belt system and everything on it was very primitive. The blade mounting system was all allen wrenches and not fun at all. I don't really know why I bought it but it was just something that piqued my interest at the time. The Hawks have come a very long ways since I bought that one. I recently bought a very nice 226 Ultra that was like new but it had too big of a footprint for my small shop so it had to go. For the short time I had it, I was impressed with how smooth it worked and if I ever have a larger shop (LOL) I'd certainly have another one. 

Didn’t that belt drive hawk have a huge. 1 1/8 inch stroke?  I have lots of Hawks.  I mainly like the scrollmate the ex and Hawk saws.  I kinda like Hegner too just not as much.  🤫

1 hour ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

Didn’t that belt drive hawk have a huge. 1 1/8 inch stroke?  I have lots of Hawks.  I mainly like the scrollmate the ex and Hawk saws.  I kinda like Hegner too just not as much.  🤫

Which one did you buy, LOL

Just curious why you say you don't like the Hegner as much? 

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Which one did you buy, LOL

Just curious why you say you don't like the Hegner as much? 

I didn’t buy one.  There was a ton of really nice rebuilt ones but I couldn’t make up my mind what I wanted.  Too many cool choices.  They even hd 2 25” saws, a Hegner lathe, an Mk4, TSW230.  Tons of fun stuff.  There are just a few things about the Hegners that I forgot about which is why I haven’t bought any and went with the Hawk, EX and scrollmates.  

19 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

How could anybody not like a brand new Hegner?

A couple saws started off fast then slowed down to speed.  Couldn't get them to run smooth like I remember the Hegner I used to borrow time on.  And forgot about what a pain the lower blade clamps were because you have to line up the blade and pull out slightly so the screw doesn’t twist it out of position and believe me it really does.  Another are the parts.  The clamp system stuff just seems outdated.  Yea they paved the way to revolutionize the industry but you need 3 different sized blade holders $25 a pop to hold all the blades you would use from 2 to 12.  If you want a quick release for the blade its an additional $35.  Bellow should you need to replace them are $45 and more plastic than rubber.  There are not two risers in the back just one.  I could not find a sweet apot on the saws and the tables are still tiny. Even smaller now on the 14” than the older version.  The 25” and polycut 3 had bigger tables though.  I may buy one just to have it around to make videos with for others to see.  The polycut 3 was a disaster when it came to changing speeds lol if anyone decides to get the polycut 3 to blast out puzzles all day it will totally crush it day in day out.  It is violent and i would bolt it to the floor for sure

C6C33678-5E38-4E93-8F5C-AE3257665EB8.jpeg

F921579E-C267-42FE-9218-D8A3AEDBC091.jpeg

1 hour ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

A couple saws started off fast then slowed down to speed.  Couldn't get them to run smooth like I remember the Hegner I used to borrow time on.  And forgot about what a pain the lower blade clamps were because you have to line up the blade and pull out slightly so the screw doesn’t twist it out of position and believe me it really does.  Another are the parts.  The clamp system stuff just seems outdated.  Yea they paved the way to revolutionize the industry but you need 3 different sized blade holders $25 a pop to hold all the blades you would use from 2 to 12.  If you want a quick release for the blade its an additional $35.  Bellow should you need to replace them are $45 and more plastic than rubber.  There are not two risers in the back just one.  I could not find a sweet apot on the saws and the tables are still tiny. Even smaller now on the 14” than the older version.  The 25” and polycut 3 had bigger tables though.  I may buy one just to have it around to make videos with for others to see.  The polycut 3 was a disaster when it came to changing speeds lol if anyone decides to get the polycut 3 to blast out puzzles all day it will totally crush it day in day out.  It is violent and i would bolt it to the floor for sure

C6C33678-5E38-4E93-8F5C-AE3257665EB8.jpeg

F921579E-C267-42FE-9218-D8A3AEDBC091.jpeg

Never understood why they make those bellows out of that goofy rubber/plastic stuff.. I see most used saws needing that piece.. I see Hawk list the bellows for their saws for $10.. I've also never ever heard or seen of anyone having to replace one on a Hawk.. They are listed in the parts on their site so I'm sure people buy them.. It's just not very common like on the Hegners..   Hegners are dam good saws.. but I do feel they could improve on a lot of things.. as can Hawk.. Hawk in my mind would be quite a competitor to Hegner if they had good management for the company like Hegner does..

If I owned a Hegner I'd have to buy stocks in Magnifier light bulbs and lenses.. My older Hawk upper arm goes up higher than the other newer Hawks. I've broke two bulbs and cracked a magnifier lens from that arm when a blade broke.. Not sure why Hegner designed that front tension lever to stick up 3-4 inch above the arm, 😂 Was always kind of curious if the designers of scroll saws ever used one..  

Edited by kmmcrafts