gnome on a fence picket

red river

Howdy ya'll.....I have a couple of quick questions on how to finish this project. ( if you type  gnome in the search box you will see that Barb has a picture of one. ) It is going to sit on front porch and will be in the shade. I cut mine out of 1/8 bb and painted all the pieces with a triple coat of rustoleum 2x rattle can paint. I'm going to clear coat them and I have 3 different products to choose from. minwax fast dry poly, rustoleum 2x ultra cover, and krylon triple thick clear glaze. They are all rattle can and all semi gloss. Does anyone here have an idea as to which clear coat might be best. Also, I have some Titebond 111 and I wonder if I need to nail the letters to picket or if glue would do the trick. The picket is western red cedar and has been sanded to a smooth finish. Thanks in advance for any and all replies......forrest

4 hours ago, red river said:

Howdy ya'll.....I have a couple of quick questions on how to finish this project. ( if you type  gnome in the search box you will see that Barb has a picture of one. ) It is going to sit on front porch and will be in the shade. I cut mine out of 1/8 bb and painted all the pieces with a triple coat of rustoleum 2x rattle can paint. I'm going to clear coat them and I have 3 different products to choose from. minwax fast dry poly, rustoleum 2x ultra cover, and krylon triple thick clear glaze. They are all rattle can and all semi gloss. Does anyone here have an idea as to which clear coat might be best. Also, I have some Titebond 111 and I wonder if I need to nail the letters to picket or if glue would do the trick. The picket is western red cedar and has been sanded to a smooth finish. Thanks in advance for any and all replies......forrest

Pictures? Ahhh! Never mind. I did as you suggested and now see what you are talking about. For any kind of wood project outdoors, I'd say varnish is the best way to go. I built a redwood gate and did about 4 coats of marine spar varnish on it and it held up very well.

Edited by octoolguy