Lichtenstein Castle

munzieb

I would have never thought to make an oval pattern in this way. I love that one can always be learning knew things because others are so willing to share what they have learned, here in The Village.

As usual, your workmanship is superb and a great encouragement for myself to continue to try and do a little better with my scrolling work. I love all the castles one can encounter on a visit to Germany, as I have also made. Here in American, castles are just make believe buildings for Kings and Queens in make believe stories and don't often seem like the real things that embrace Europe, so vastly.

Another great piece of beauty that could make your house a museum, if you chose to open it to the public. 🙂 Thanks for posting it for all to enjoy

Dick

heppnerguy

On 8/6/2021 at 11:02 AM, munzieb said:

... I found a very good video on Youtube to make an oval frame...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6WkzRH-Up8&t=31s

I watched the video and found it very good and well done.  Great instruction on the actual making of the frame.

That being said, any of  of us who use inkscape can make the "layout work", a lot easier and possibly more accurate.   His string and pencil method works, but it is slighly antiquated. 

Ovals are easy to create In Inkscape and can be produced and printed out like we do a cutting pattern, but for a frame instead.  If I was going to tackle a project like this (and I will, as soon as I find the right scene), I would probably make the cutting pattern and frame pattern together to make sure the frame and cutting work together. Yours is perfect, but I could see where the scale of the cutting vs. the size of the frame could possibly be a problem.   Eaiser to see the combined pattern and frame design before cutting either.

1 hour ago, heppnerguy said:

I would have never thought to make an oval pattern in this way. I love that one can always be learning knew things because others are so willing to share what they have learned, here in The Village.

As usual, your workmanship is superb and a great encouragement for myself to continue to try and do a little better with my scrolling work. I love all the castles one can encounter on a visit to Germany, as I have also made. Here in American, castles are just make believe buildings for Kings and Queens in make believe stories and don't often seem like the real things that embrace Europe, so vastly.

Another great piece of beauty that could make your house a museum, if you chose to open it to the public. 🙂 Thanks for posting it for all to enjoy

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks Dick. Necessity is the mother of invention! The original design had a whole lot of "stuff" on the sides that didn't really add to the picture and I really didn't want to cut all that "stuff".  Cutting an oval solved that problem. You are right about castles here but many of the most famous in Europe are restorations of the "Romantic Era". I have one up the road from us in Asheville, the Biltmore. I may have to put it on my list.😉

23 minutes ago, FrankEV said:

I watched the video and found it very good and well done.  Great instruction on the actual making of the frame.

That being said, any of  of us who use inkscape can make the "layout work", a lot easier and possibly more accurate.   His string and pencil method works, but it is slighly antiquated. 

Ovals are easy to create In Inkscape and can be produced and printed out like we do a cutting pattern, but for a frame instead.  If I was going to tackle a project like this (and I will, as soon as I find the right scene), I would probably make the cutting pattern and frame pattern together to make sure the frame and cutting work together. Yours is perfect, but I could see where the scale of the cutting vs. the size of the frame could possibly be a problem.   Eaiser to see the combined pattern and frame design before cutting either.

You're right Frank, I should have made the frame a little smaller and proportional to the plaque but it was a test/experiment to see if I could do it. I can still remove the plaque from the back and make another one in the future. I could have also cut the outer edge and inner ogee a little deeper to create a slight ridge line. I have used the string method in the past but it can be a little wobbly and 3D paint made it easy. You are correct that using Inscape would have made the whole process easier but I think that the video contributor may have consider that the viewers may have not had access to software and focused more on the technique. On a side note, having a absolute accurate miter is crucial. I had used my HF Miter saw and that was off. I have a Incra 1000SE table saw miter and I thought it was spot on (not). After connecting the 4 (8) miters I had a gap. I readjusted the miter and came up with a 1.5 to 2 degree difference. All that error is cumulative. Fixed it.

1 hour ago, munzieb said:

You're right Frank, I should have made the frame a little smaller and proportional to the plaque but it was a test/experiment to see if I could do it. I can still remove the plaque from the back and make another one in the future. I could have also cut the outer edge and inner ogee a little deeper to create a slight ridge line. I have used the string method in the past but it can be a little wobbly and 3D paint made it easy. You are correct that using Inscape would have made the whole process easier but I think that the video contributor may have consider that the viewers may have not had access to software and focused more on the technique. On a side note, having a absolute accurate miter is crucial. I had used my HF Miter saw and that was off. I have a Incra 1000SE table saw miter and I thought it was spot on (not). After connecting the 4 (8) miters I had a gap. I readjusted the miter and came up with a 1.5 to 2 degree difference. All that error is cumulative. Fixed it.

I thought your Frame and cutting went well together.  I was in no way being critical of your work.  My comments were solely about using Inkscape in liew of the string and pencil.  I also noted that looking at the frame and cutting on paper before cutting would also prevent any size relationship problems that "could" occur.

As far as miters, you might want to look at: 

Frank, I made this sled a while back and probably should have used it instead of the Incra 1000se miter. The picture frame of the puzzle above was made with the miter sled. Most of the frames I build are thin so I have some flex to adjust. I always appreciate any input. No problem.

20210807_160143.jpg

20210807_160116.jpg

table-saw-miter-sled.pdf

On 8/7/2021 at 4:20 PM, munzieb said:

...I made this sled a while back ....

That sled looks very nice.  I know there are many DYI miter sled designs available.   The one I referenced is basicaly designed for rabbeted frame making and only good for 45 degree corners.

I like the this sled because it eliminates having to calculate the length of the frame rail.  Because you set the rabbeted edge along the Square, you just use the panel dimensions + a tad (mayby a 1/16) to set the angled stop block.  Works like a charm.