DW type 1

Joe W.

I wouldn't say the type 1 is better than the type 2.. I think type two got a bad review because they move to another plant to make them.. during that process the very first few type 2's had some issues.. hence everyone was happy to complain about the type 2 being junk.. they corrected the issues and I had a type 2 that I ran for 6 years as my only saw.. I did rebuild it once after the first 2 years and used quality parts and grease and it went the other 4 years before it was starting to need a rebuild again.. that's when I picked up my first Hawk.. Anyway I've never had a type 1.. so I cannot say for sure the 1 is better than a 2 etc.. but the story I mentioned above makes sense because they did move to another plant and anytime you move a set-up you gonna have some bugs to work out.. apparently several saws made it through QC and into the hands of the end user with some issues.. issues were corrected I believe as my saw was a good saw for the DW line.. The issues was a alignment thing where it made the saw VERY aggressive cutting.. so much so that many couldn't even use the saw..

Now that doesn't mean there isn't a few of these type 2's out there and may be still circulating around.. That is why I suggest anyone buying a used saw to take a board and blade with you to try it out before you buy it.. 

I actually speculate this same thing could be the case with those China Excalibur knock offs.. That being said.. they have a tough market and competition for the exact same type of saw.. It can take years to recoop from a bad reputation... For instance the DW switch plants was like 2003 ish? and people are still talking about this.. I bought my type 2 is 2007-8.. with no issues. That being said.. think about how old that type 1 is now..  

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I wouldn't say the type 1 is better than the type 2.. I think type two got a bad review because they move to another plant to make them.. during that process the very first few type 2's had some issues.. hence everyone was happy to complain about the type 2 being junk.. they corrected the issues and I had a type 2 that I ran for 6 years as my only saw.. I did rebuild it once after the first 2 years and used quality parts and grease and it went the other 4 years before it was starting to need a rebuild again.. that's when I picked up my first Hawk.. Anyway I've never had a type 1.. so I cannot say for sure the 1 is better than a 2 etc.. but the story I mentioned above makes sense because they did move to another plant and anytime you move a set-up you gonna have some bugs to work out.. apparently several saws made it through QC and into the hands of the end user with some issues.. issues were corrected I believe as my saw was a good saw for the DW line.. The issues was a alignment thing where it made the saw VERY aggressive cutting.. so much so that many couldn't even use the saw..

Now that doesn't mean there isn't a few of these type 2's out there and may be still circulating around.. That is why I suggest anyone buying a used saw to take a board and blade with you to try it out before you buy it.. 

I actually speculate this same thing could be the case with those China Excalibur knock offs.. That being said.. they have a tough market and competition for the exact same type of saw.. It can take years to recoop from a bad reputation... For instance the DW switch plants was like 2003 ish? and people are still talking about this.. I bought my type 2 is 2007-8.. with no issues. That being said.. think about how old that type 1 is now..  

Exactly Kevin. I had a type 2 for 3 years as my main saw. I sold it to a friend almost 2 years ago and it's still purring like a kitten. It has never been rebuilt. I put pegas lever chucks on it and the front to back blade movement is about a 32 of an inch. I would rather have a decent type 2 over a type 1 due to the age factor.

The Type 1 was made in Canada.  The saw would be about 20 years old now.  Bought mine used, no issues, performs well.

All tools need maintenance from time to time, depending on use.  On the Type 1, the tension is superb, the clamps ok, table alignment and blade squareness are good.  Put tape over the On/Off switch to keep the dust out.  

I used a Type 1 for 5 days a week and 25 years doing a full time craft business. All I ever did to it was grease the main bearing with Vasoline twice a year. I recently sold that saw after buying both a Pegas and a Seyco. The DW saw was slightly more aggressive but it is nothing you can't get used to. I sold mine for $300 with the stand and a foot switch and a small shop vac

The Type 1 was made in Canada, and at the same time as Excalibur moved to Taiwan, so did Dewalt. The type 2 is also a good saw if it was made in Taiwan. Later the company was sold and when they began making them in China was when problems started.

As to the age of the saw, of course the age is a consideration but so too is the amount of use it got. Tons of saws are out there that were only used slightly and then sat collecting dust. If this saw in question operates smoothly with no clicking noises, it is worth the money in my opinion.